Friday, Nov. 17
Latest News
  1. Israeli forces deliver evacuation notices to 300 Palestinians
  2. Israeli forces suppress Friday protests in Kafr Qaddum
  3. Jerusalem store owner demolish own shop to avoid Israeli fines
  4. Israeli forces detain 4 Palestinians, husband and wife, from Hebron
  5. Israeli settlers throw rocks at Palestinian cars, injure 2
  6. Israeli forces punitively seal Palestinian village over stone throwing
  7. Israel cancels permits for Gazans to visit imprisoned relatives
  8. Israeli forces open fire on lands in southern Gaza Strip
  9. Israeli forces detain 14 Palestinians, former hunger-striking prisoner
  10. After deadly tunnel attack, Israel and Islamic Jihad exchange threats

Settlers occupying Hebron home attack Palestinian woman with stones

Sept. 9, 2017 9:08 P.M. (Updated: Sept. 10, 2017 3:22 P.M.)
(File)
HEBRON (Ma'an) -- A Palestinian woman was moderately injured and hospitalized Saturday evening after Israeli settlers occupying her home in Hebron's Old City in the occupied West Bank attacked her with stones.

Hazem Abu Rajab told Ma'an that Israeli settlers, who forcibly took over parts of the Abu Rajab family home in July and have been living there ever since, hurled stones at his 55-year-old mother while she was on the stairs, on the ground floor of three-story building.

She was evacuated to Hebron's governmental hospital for treatment, suffering from a cut on her face.

An Israeli police spokesperson did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the attack.

The state of Israel ordered the 15 settlers families living in the Abu Rajab house to evacuate last month, however, the Israeli Supreme Court ordered last week to delay the evacuation based on an appeal submitted by the settlers.

According to Israeli media reports, the settlers’ appeal was based on the same erroneous ownership claims to the property -- which is referred to as Beit HaMachpela by the settlers -- that have already been debunked in previous legal proceedings.

When the court agreed to delay the eviction, Israeli settlement watchdog Peace Now wrote: "The settlers' petition is absolutely outrageous and its baseless arguments have been rejected again and again in previous legal proceedings. After having been granted an independent administration a few days ago, it is no wonder the Hebron settlers feel empowered to do as they wish, while ignoring the law and on the expense of Palestinians."

The NGO’s statement referred to a recent decision by the Israeli army to expand powers for Hebron's notoriously aggressive Israeli settlers by establishing a municipal services administration there. Peace Now said that the military order “formalizes the system of apartheid in the city and could potentially lead to new projects and budget transfers to the Hebron settlers.

Located in the center of Hebron -- one of the largest cities in the occupied West Bank -- the Old City was divided into Palestinian and Israeli-controlled areas, H1 and H2, following the Ibrahimi Mosque massacre. The Abu Rajab home is located near to this mosque.

Some 800 notoriously aggressive Israeli settlers now live under the protection of the Israeli military in the Old City, surrounded by more than 30,000 Palestinians.

Palestinian residents of the Old City face a large Israeli military presence on a daily basis, with at least 20 checkpoints set up at the entrances of many streets, as well as the entrance of the Ibrahimi Mosque itself.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2017