Monday, Oct. 23
Latest News
  1. Activists demand settlers leave Palestinian home in Hebron
  2. Israeli forces raid refugee camp, ransack homes in search of weapons
  3. Israeli forces detain Palestinian for allegedly planning attack
  4. Israeli forces shoot, injure Palestinian teen sailing off Gaza coast
  5. Trump's envoy conditions Palestinian reconciliation on disarming Hamas
  6. Two Hamas fighters injured in training accident in Gaza
  7. Israel demolishes 2 Palestinians homes in Hebron-area village
  8. Armed Israeli soldier wounded by rock in overnight raid
  9. Two Palestinians detained after crossing Gaza border fence into Israel
  10. Israeli forces detain 32 Palestinians in overnight raids

Israeli airstrikes injure 4 Palestinians in Gaza

Aug. 9, 2017 9:43 A.M. (Updated: Aug. 9, 2017 5:40 P.M.)
(File)
GAZA STRIP (Ma'an) -- Four Palestinians were injured by Israeli airstrikes in the besieged Gaza Strip on Tuesday night.

An Israeli army spokesperson told Ma’an on Wednesday that the Israeli air force had targeted “two Hamas posts” in the northern Gaza Strip, after an unidentified projectile -- which they said was fired from Gaza -- landed in an open area in southern Israel on Tuesday evening, causing no injuries.

Ayman al-Sahbani, the head of the Emergency and Ambulance department at the al-Shifa Medical Center in Gaza City, said that four Palestinians suffered from light to critical injuries during the airstrikes.

One of the injured was identified as a 26-year-old man who was hit by shrapnel in the head and was reported to be in moderate condition.

A Ma’an reporter at the scene of one of the airstrikes said that the windows of dozens of houses had been shattered by the blast.

"It is forbidden for Gaza to remain an experimental ground for the Israeli occupation's weapons," the Hamas movement said in a statement on Wednesday.

Hamas spokesman Fawzi Barhum said that "Israel's deliberate arbitrary airstrikes on Gaza resistance sites are a dangerous move that Israel should be held accountable for."

An Israeli army spokesperson had initially denied to Ma’an on Tuesday that Israel had shelled Gaza.

Israeli officials have long accused Hamas, Gaza's de facto leading party, of "preparing" for another war with Israel and have threatened retaliatory measures against the Gaza Strip as a whole, while Israeli authorities hold Hamas responsible for all attacks against Israeli targets coming from the Gaza Strip.

However, Hamas has not claimed responsibility for any rocket attacks since a ceasefire was declared after Israel’s devastating war in Gaza in 2014, and the movement has attempted to clamp down on armed activity by smaller political groups that do launch rockets from the territory.

Shells have been fired from the blockaded coastal territory into Israel a number of times since the beginning of the year, most recently in July, without causing any casualties.

Israeli forces have launched a number of airstrikes in retaliation, injuring at least seven Palestinians and damaging electricity infrastructure.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2017