Tuesday, Dec. 11
Latest News
  1. Israeli settlers attack Palestinian vehicles near Huwwara
  2. Palestinian shot, killed by Israeli forces in Hebron
  3. Israeli forces shoot, injure 3 Palestinian youths in Tubas
  4. Israeli forces raid Wafa headquarters
  5. Israel joins 'FATF' anti-terror financing organization
  6. Israeli settlers perform rituals at Bab al-Rahma cemetery
  7. Israeli navy detains Palestinian fishermen near Rafah City
  8. Journalist among 25 detained Palestinians by Israeli forces
  9. Israeli bulldozers level lands in central Gaza
  10. Palestinians injured as hundreds of settlers storm Joseph's Tomb

Israeli forces injure 2 Palestinians in Kafr Qaddum clashes, detain activist in Hebron

Aug. 4, 2017 7:29 P.M. (Updated: Aug. 6, 2017 9:09 A.M.)
QALQILIYA (Ma’an) -- Israeli forces injured at least two Palestinians on Friday during a weekly protest held in the village of Kafr Qaddum in the northern occupied West Bank district of Qalqiliya, while Israeli forces also detained a Palestinian activist in Hebron city in the southern West Bank.

Coordinator of Kafr Qaddum’s popular resistance Murad Shteiwi said that Israeli forces suppressed the village’s weekly march by firing rubber-coated steel bullets, sound bombs, and tear gas canisters at the protesters, injuring at least two Palestinians who were treated on the scene by Palestinian medical crews.

Shteiwi added that Israeli forces had raided the home of Jamal Jumaa during the march and turned his roof into an Israeli military post. Israeli soldiers stationed themselves there to shoot crowd control weapons at the protesters.

An Israeli army spokesperson told Ma’an she would look into reports on the incidents.

Residents of Kafr Qaddum began staging weekly protests in 2011 against land confiscations, as well as the closure of the village's southern road by Israeli forces.

The road, which has been closed for 14 years, is the main route to the nearby city of Nablus, the nearest economic center.

The Israeli army blocked off the road after expanding the illegal Israeli settlement of Kedumim in 2003, forcing village residents to take a bypass road in order to travel to Nablus, which has extended the travel time to Nablus from 15 minutes to 40 minutes, according to Israeli rights group B’Tselem.

Hundreds of Palestinians have been detained during the demonstrations since their start in 2011, and at least one protester was killed, while 84 have been injured by live fire, including 12 children, Shteiwi told Ma'an during a similar protest last year.

Meanwhile, in a separate incident, Israeli forces detained Imad Abu Shamsiya, a coordinator for Human Rights Defenders in Hebron, on Friday afternoon.

Badi Dweik, a member of the human rights group, said that Israeli forces had stopped Abu Shamsiya while he was walking near his home in the area of Tel Rumeida in Hebron, subsequently detaining him and taking him to an Israeli police station at the illegal Israeli settlement of Kiryat Arba.

Dweik added that the activist was detained for “unknown reasons.”

An Israeli army spokesperson told Ma'an she would look into any reports of detentions in Tel Rumeida.
Imad Abu Shamsiya being questioned by Israeli forces in Hebron city
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015