Tuesday, Sept. 17
Latest News
  1. Palestinian goverment: 26 million in development of ministries
  2. Rudeineh: Washington us unable to achieve anything by itself
  3. US: “No plan for unilateral annexation by Israel of the West Bank"
  4. Cluster of incendiary balloons land in southern Israel
  5. Palestinian FM condemns Germany's vote to define BDS as 'anti-Semitic'
  6. Israeli forces forcibly evict Muslim worshipers from Al-Aqsa
  7. Israeli forces detain 14-year-old Palestinian near Ramallah
  8. Erekat: Deviation from peace terms of reference doomed to fail
  9. Iceland's Hatari shocks Eurovision with Palestinian flags
  10. UNRWA: 4 Palestinian children killed in attack on Syria refugee camp

Israel returns body of Palestinian who succumbed to wound inflicted by Israeli forces 3 months ago

Feb. 17, 2017 6:33 P.M. (Updated: Feb. 19, 2017 6:53 P.M.)
TULKAREM (Ma’an) -- Israeli authorities returned the body of slain Palestinian Muhammad Thabet Jallad on Friday to his home in Tulkarem city in the northern occupied West Bank, after the 25-year-old succumbed to a gunshot wound inflicted by Israeli forces in November.

Head of the Palestinian Prisoner’s Society in Tulkarem Ibrahim al-Nimr told Ma’an that the Israeli army returned Jallad’s body to his family at the Enav checkpoint in the presence of Palestinian civil and military liaison.

Al-Nimr added that Jallad had died in Israel’s Beilinson Hospital a week ago after sustaining a gunshot wound to his chest on Nov. 9, 2016 at the Huwwara checkpoint in Nablus.

The Red Crescent ambulance service in Tulkarem told Ma’an that one of its ambulances transferred Jallad’s body to Tulkarem’s Thabet Thabet governmental hospital.

Medical sources said that an autopsy was being conducted in the presence of the Palestinian public prosecution.

Al-Nimr said that Jallad’s funeral would be held on Saturday with the attendance of locals and officials.

Israeli authorities claimed at the time that Jallad had attempted to stab an Israeli soldier with a screwdriver before Israeli forces opened live fire on him. However, Jallad’s family has told a very different story.

According to Israeli newspaper Haaretz, Jallad was receiving chemotherapy treatment for his battle with lymphoma. On his way to what was supposed to be his last treatment session after his cancer went into remission, Jallad had taken the wrong shared taxi.

Upon realizing his mistake, he exited the taxi and tried to run to the other side of the highway near Huwwara to get another taxi headed toward Nablus. However, Israeli forces stationed nearby shot him as he was running, later claiming he had attempted to carry out an attack.

Haaretz reported that after visiting his home in Tulkarem, they were unable to find a single person who believed the Israeli narrative that Jallad had attempted an attack.

After he was shot, Jallad ended up in the Intensive Care Unit of Israel’s Beilinson Hospital for three months. His family was left in the dark about Jallad’s health condition, according to Haaretz, with his mother only being allowed to visit him in his hospital room once.

The family has not received any information from Israeli authorities concerning his death, and were only made aware that he succumbed to his wounds after pressing one of the physicians at the hospital for more information on their son's condition.

Jallad became the ninth Palestinian to be killed by Israeli forces this year, with 112 Palestinians killed in 2016, according to Ma’an documentation.

Israel has come under repeated criticism for using lethal force on Palestinians who posed no harm or could have been detained through nonlethal means, with the PLO, rights groups, and the United Nations condemning Israeli forces of carrying out "extrajudicial executions."

Most Read
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015