NEGEV (Ma’an) -- A new video broadcast by Israeli Channel 10 on Saturday further weakened Israel police claims regarding a deadly January raid in the Bedouin village of Umm al-Hiran in the Negev desert, showing that Israeli forces shot at a Bedouin man’s vehicle when he did not constitute a threat.
The video showed Israeli officers opening fire at the car of Umm al-Hiran resident Yaqoub Abu al-Qian on Jan. 18
, as he was slowly driving past with his headlights on, causing him to lose control of his vehicle and hit police officer Erez Levi.
Both Abu al-Qian and Levi were killed in the incident.
The Channel 10 report added that Umm al-Hiran residents were still calling for an official investigation to the case, particularly regarding their assertions that Levi had in fact been killed by friendly fire.
Israeli police reportedly said after the broadcast that an investigation was underway over the fact that police officers did not provide Abu al-Qian medical assistance, leaving him to bleed to death.
Israeli police had originally claimed that Abu al-Qian had deliberately carried out a car-ramming attack, and that his headlights had been off while he was driving near the Israeli forces evacuating Umm al-Hiran in the early morning hours.
Israeli police spokesperson Micky Rosenfeld said that during a raid of the slain Palestinian's home, police found three copies of a Hebrew-language newspaper from 2015 with the headline: "ISIS bomb that took down a plane," suggesting that the old newspapers were evidence that the man carried out a terror attack.
However, according to Haaretz, the Shin Bet, Israel’s internal security agency, reported two weeks after the incident that they had yet to find any evidence connecting Abu al-Qian to ISIS.
The Joint List, which represents parties led by Palestinian citizens of Israel in Israel’s parliament, the Knesset, were quick to accuse Israeli police of spreading misinformation on Israeli media following the incident.
In a statement released by the Joint List at the time, the group argued that Israeli police lied in their claims in order to distract from Israel’s campaign to establish Jewish-only towns "on the ruins of Bedouin villages.”
Umm al-Hiran is one of 35 Bedouin villages considered “unrecognized” by the Israeli state, with more than half of the approximately 160,000 Negev Bedouins residing in unrecognized villages.
The unrecognized Bedouin villages were established in the Negev soon after the 1948 Arab-Israeli war following the creation of the state of Israel. Now more than 60 years later, the villages have yet to be recognized by Israel and live under constant threats of demolition and forcible removal.
The Joint List has described the actions by Israeli authorities as "a terrorist and bloody invasion that brings to mind the scenes of displacement and destruction of Arab villages during the Nakba in 1948." Some 750,000 Palestinians were forcibly displaced during the creation of the state of Israel in what Palestinians call the Nakba -- “catastrophe” in Arabic.