Monday, July 24
Latest News
  1. Attacker's home to be demolished as ministers call for execution
  2. Jerusalemites continue praying outside Al-Aqsa compound in protest
  3. Reports of 'attempted security breach' at Israeli embassy in Jordan
  4. PA and Hamas call for national unity over Al-Aqsa, on their own terms
  5. Reports: Israeli forces shoot, injure Palestinian at Nablus checkpoint
  6. Palestinian detained for ‘praying for bad things to happen to police’
  7. Palestinian activists banned from entering J'lem, using social media
  8. Israel detains 42 Palestinians, including MP, in overnight raids
  9. Israel reportedly bans Palestinians from working in settlements
  10. Israeli settlers attack Palestinian cars, erect new outpost in protest

Israeli forces continue airstrikes in Gaza, leaving 3 Palestinians injured in the day

Feb. 6, 2017 9:33 P.M. (Updated: Feb. 27, 2017 9:53 A.M.)
GAZA CITY (Ma'an) -- Israeli forces resumed attacks on the besieged Gaza Strip on Monday evening, injuring two Palestinians, after injuring a Palestinian earlier Monday in a series of Israeli army airstrikes in northern Gaza, in response to a rocket that landed in an open area in the Ashkelon region of southern Israel on Monday morning.

Witnesses told Ma'an that at least eight Israeli missiles were fired at several locations across the besieged coastal enclave.

One airstrike hit agricultural land in the center of Khan Yunis city in the southern Gaza Strip. A spokesman of the Gaza Ministry of Health, Ashraf al-Qidra, confirmed that two people were injured in Khan Yunis.

According to locals, the airstrikes hit a “resistance” military post as well as an agricultural area east of Gaza City in the northern Gaza Strip, in addition to the al-Shujaiyya neighborhood in Gaza City, causing damages to several residential buildings.

The airstrikes also hit agricultural lands east of al-Maghazi and al-Bureij refugee camps in the central Gaza Strip.

Palestinian factions released statements warning of the consequences of the ongoing Israeli attacks on the coastal enclave.

A spokesman of Hamas movement, Hazem Qasim, said the current escalation represented "a new chain in the series of ongoing Israeli occupation's assaults against the Palestinian people and the Gaza Strip."

The Islamic Jihad movement said in a statement that “Palestinian resistance holds the Israeli occupation responsible for the ongoing and future attacks on the Gaza Strip.”

The Israeli army released a statement saying that on Monday evening Israeli air forces “targeted three Hamas posts” in the northern Gaza Strip “in response to the projectile fired from the Gaza Strip at Israeli communities earlier today and the attack against [Israeli army] forces operating near the border with the southern Gaza Strip as well as other incidents from Gaza in the last month.”

The statement quoted and Israeli army spokesperson as saying that "Hamas is accountable for the unacceptable aggression that threatens the well-being of Israelis and breaches Israeli sovereignty. This reality jeopardizes the stability and security in the region. The [Israeli army] will continue to defend Israeli civilians against the threats emanating from Hamas' Gaza."

Despite accusations from Israeli army officials that the ongoing attacks on the Gaza Strip are in response to rockets fired from Hamas forces in Gaza, Hamas has yet to claim responsibility for the rocket fire.

Israeli officials have accused Hamas of "preparing" for another war with Israel and have threatened retaliatory measures against the Gaza Strip as a whole.

However, despite Hamas' inflammatory rhetoric against Israel, the movement has not officially claimed responsibility for any military action from Gaza against Israel since the 2014 war.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2017