Saturday, July 20
Latest News
  1. Palestinian goverment: 26 million in development of ministries
  2. Rudeineh: Washington us unable to achieve anything by itself
  3. US: “No plan for unilateral annexation by Israel of the West Bank"
  4. Cluster of incendiary balloons land in southern Israel
  5. Palestinian FM condemns Germany's vote to define BDS as 'anti-Semitic'
  6. Israeli forces forcibly evict Muslim worshipers from Al-Aqsa
  7. Israeli forces detain 14-year-old Palestinian near Ramallah
  8. Erekat: Deviation from peace terms of reference doomed to fail
  9. Iceland's Hatari shocks Eurovision with Palestinian flags
  10. UNRWA: 4 Palestinian children killed in attack on Syria refugee camp

Hundreds join funeral of al-Issawiya teen despite 50 person limit

Oct. 11, 2015 12:07 P.M. (Updated: Oct. 11, 2015 1:18 P.M.)
JERUSALEM (Ma’an) – Hundreds of mourners on Sunday morning took part in the funeral procession of 19-year-old Fadi Alloun in the al-Issawiya village of occupied East Jerusalem, despite Israeli authorities' requirement that no more than 50 people attend the funeral.

Israeli authorities originally agreed to hand over Alloun's body on Oct. 5, under the condition that only 70 people would attend the funeral, which was supposed to take place in the Shuafat neighborhood of occupied East Jerusalem earlier this week.

At the time, Israeli authorities demanded that Alloun's family pay a guarantee of 20,000 shekels ($5,200) that would have been returned if the condition was met.

It is unknown whether a conditional payment was required to release the body after it was decided that Alloun would be laid to rest in al-Issawiya village instead of Shuafat.

Alloun, a 19-year-old from al-Issawiya, was shot dead by Israeli forces after an alleged stabbing attack in which a 16-year-old Israeli was reportedly moderately injured outside Jerusalem's Old City.

However, witnesses from the scene of the incident told Ma’an that a group of settlers surrounded Fadi and “wanted to kill him,” before a police patrol then arrived and shot him dead, they said.

Controversial footage published on YouTube has been used to challenge Israeli claims. The footage shows Alloun seemingly fleeing from a group of Jewish men before Israeli officers shot him dead.

Alloun's family has denied that he was involved in an attack, saying that Israeli forces shot Alloun dead while he was fleeing from Israelis who were trying to attack him, citing the video of the incident as evidence.

The funerals of Palestinians killed by Israeli forces are often highly politically charged, and Israeli authorities regularly seek to limit the numbers in attendance.

Alloun's death came just hours after another Palestinian, Muhannad al-Halabi, was shot dead after killing two Israelis and injuring two others, including a two-year-old child, in a stabbing attack that also took place in Jerusalem's Old City.

Send Comment
Comment:(300 chars)
Most Read
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015