Israel rejects responsibility for elderly Palestinian's death
Published Saturday 21/06/2014 (updated) 22/06/2014 14:36
BETHLEHEM (Ma'an) -- The Israeli army on Saturday denied responsibility for the death of an elderly Palestinian earlier in the day, saying that he had passed away in an unrelated incident during a raid on his village.
Jamil Ali Abed Jabir, who was in his 60s, died during an Israeli night raid on Haris near Salfit in the northern West Bank. Locals said that he suffered a heart attack while trying to prevent Israeli soldiers from raiding his home for a search.
An official at the regional Israeli military liaison Adel Masalha, however, told Ma'an that "the Israeli army did not raid Jabir's house. They were nearby."
Masalha added that "a youth from the family came to the army asking for help to call an ambulance to save his father, and an Israeli ambulance was called before the Palestinian Red Crescent ambulance took him to a medical center."
Palestinian security sources, however, said the Israeli military account was false and that the soldiers had prevented him from leaving during the raid to receive treatment.
The sources told Ma'an that Jabir died "after Israeli soldiers prevented his family from taking him to a hospital for treatment."