Governor: Nablus gunmen hand themselves in to PA custody
Published Friday 18/01/2013 (updated) 19/01/2013 20:47
BETHLEHEM (Ma’an) -- Ten Palestinian gunmen turned themselves in to Palestinian Authority security forces in the northern West Bank on Thursday evening, according to the regional governor.
The group, from Balata refugee camp in Nablus, are being held in Junaid prison and will face charges, Nablus governor Jibrin al-Bakri told Ma'an.
But he said there had been a deal with the group which led to their surrender, without elaborating.
Earlier Thursday, President Mahmoud Abbas instructed security services to intensify their efforts to maintain security and stressed that the government has a monopoly on force.
Over the past week, gunmen claiming affiliation to Fatah's military wing held protests in Nablus' Balata refugee camp and the Jenin camp.
They say they are protesting confiscation of their weapons by Palestinian Authority security forces and detention of group members.
The protesters call themselves resistance fighters who support the president, targeting blame for the security crackdown on PA security officials. Fatah's military wing officially disbanded in the aftermath of the second intifada.