PRC says 2 members killed in airstrike, vows to retaliate
Published Sunday 14/10/2012 (updated) 15/10/2012 21:18
Two men pass a PRC mural in the Gaza Strip.(MaanImages/file)
GAZA CITY (Ma'an) -- The Popular Resistance Committee vowed to retaliate against Israel on Sunday after announcing that two men killed earlier in an airstrike were members of the group's military wing, a statement said.
The group confirmed that Izz Addin Abu Nuseira, 23, and Ahmad Abu Fatayir, 22, were affiliated with the Nasser Saladin Brigades. Both men were killed when Israeli warplanes launched a deadly strike on a tuk-tuk vehicle in Deir al-Balah on Sunday afternoon.
Israel's army said it targeted a "terrorist squad" who had just fired a rocket from the central Gaza Strip at Israel.
"We hereby announce that it’s time to pay the toll and the occupation will have to bear the consequences of its crimes," the PRC said.
Abu Nuseira and Abu Fatayir fired five mortar shells at Kissufim Israeli military site east of Khan Younis on Saturday to respond to Israeli crimes, the statement added.
Earlier on Sunday, Islamic Jihad's military wing, the al-Quds Brigades, said that they are ready to respond to Israeli aggression against the Palestinian people, a spokesman said.
After Israel bombed southern Gaza last Sunday, the al-Quds Brigades joined forces with Hamas' armed wing, the al-Qassam Brigades, to fire rockets at Israeli military sites.
Israeli airstrikes over the past 24 hours have killed five people in Gaza.