Al-Barq to 'resume hunger strike' if not released to Egypt
Published Tuesday 09/10/2012 (updated) 15/10/2012 11:20
Women hold posters depicting their jailed relatives during a protest
calling for the release of Palestinian prisoners from Israeli jail at Red
Cross headquarters in Gaza City. (Reuters/Mohammed Salem, File)
RAMALLAH (Ma'an) -- Samir al-Barq plans to resume his hunger strike if Israel does not release him from jail to Egypt as agreed in September, his lawyer said Tuesday.
Palestinian prisoners society lawyer Jawad Bulus visited al-Barq in Ramle prison clinic on Monday.
Al-Barq ended his strike on Sept. 23 after learning Egypt and Israel had agreed he would be transferred from jail into exile in Egypt, Bulus said.
He had been on hunger strike for 125 days, his second strike this year.
Al-Barq ended a month-long hunger strike in May after Israel agreed to address the issue of administrative detention and resumed his hunger strike a week later when Israel renewed his detention without charge or trial.
He has been detained without charge or trial since July 2010.
Hunger striking prisoners Samir Issawi and Ayman Sharawna are both in a critical condition, their lawyers told the Palestinian Authority prisoners ministry on Sunday.
Sharawna has been on hunger strike since July 1, and Issawi joined a month later. They were both released under the 2011 prisoner swap deal but rearrested shortly after, and are being held without charge.
In an address to the United Nations last month, President Mahmoud Abbas called for international protection of Palestinian prisoners.
Abbas told the General Assembly that nearly 5,000 Palestinians remain in Israel's jails, and he urged the international community to compel Israel to respect the Geneva Conventions.
He said the world should "investigate the conditions of detention of Palestinian prisoners and detainees, stressing the need for their release; they are soldiers in their people's struggle for freedom, independence and peace."