Wednesday, Aug. 22
Latest News
  1. Israeli forces assault Palestinian farmers in East Jerusalem
  2. Israeli forces detain 14 Palestinians, including former prisoner
  3. Israel approves new settlement units near Bethlehem
  4. Israeli forces remove tent, assault Palestinian in Hebron
  5. Erekat: 'The truce in Gaza is a national demand'
  6. Israel's intention to annex the West Bank revealed
  7. Israeli forces open fire along Gaza border
  8. UN McGoldrick applauds humanitarian workers in Palestine
  9. Israel rejects UN proposals to protect Palestinians
  10. Residents of Israeli border communities demand security

Israeli forces suppress Palestinian marches in Hebron city

Sept. 15, 2017 5:53 P.M. (Updated: Sept. 16, 2017 1:44 P.M.)
HEBRON (Ma’an) -- Israeli forces suppressed two marches in Hebron city in the southern occupied West Bank on Friday, one of which was launched to protest the expansion of municipal services to Israeli settlers residing in the Old City in violation of international law.

Israeli forces suppressed a peaceful march that was launched following Dhuhr (noon) prayers towards the Old City to protest a recent decision by the Israeli army to extend municipal services to Israeli settlers illegally residing there.
According to witnesses, Israeli forces fired tear gas canisters at protesters, and prohibited them from approaching the settlements in the city.

Governor of Hebron Kamel Hamid said earlier this month that the decision would serve to further strengthen Israeli control in Hebron while undermining the Palestinian Authority (PA), in a city where Palestinians already contend with the highest concentration of military checkpoints in the West Bank and are surrounded by hundreds of notoriously aggressive settlers living under the protection of the Israeli army.

“The order jeopardizes any political settlement in the area, which stands in contradiction with the peace process and the establishment of a Palestinian state,” Hamid said.

Story continues below
Meanwhile, in a separate incident, Israeli forces suppressed a march at the entrance of Khirbet Qalqas south of Hebron city.

The march was launched to protest the Israeli closure of the village’s entrance several years ago. Protesters demanded that Israeli forces open the gate.

Israeli forces responded by shooting tear gas canisters at the protesters, causing several to suffer from tear gas inhalation. Israeli forces also detained two Palestinian protesters.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2018