Saturday, Feb. 16
Latest News
  1. 2 Palestinians injured during clashes in Urif
  2. Egypt's parliament to extend al-Sisi's presidential term until 2034
  3. Israeli forces raze Palestinian agricultural lands in Urif
  4. Australia, Indonesia to officially sign free trade deal
  5. 2 Palestinian photojournalists win awards at prestigious competition
  6. Israeli forces shoot, injure Palestinian in Gaza night protests
  7. UN to review 7 resolutions against Israel in March
  8. Palestinians injured as Israeli settlers attack West Bank village
  9. Erekat on behalf of PLO refuses to legitimize Warsaw conference
  10. Israel detains youth who crossed from Lebanon border

Thousands in Hizma march in funeral of slain Palestinian Muhammad Kanaan

July 28, 2017 3:30 P.M. (Updated: July 29, 2017 4:34 P.M.)
JERUSALEM (Ma’an) -- Thousands of mourners marched in funeral of slain Palestinian Muhammad Fathi Kanaan, 25, in the Hizma town northeast of Jerusalem in the central occupied West Bank on Friday, one day after Kanaan succumbed to a gunshot wound to the head.

Kanaan was pronounced dead on Thursday night, days after he was shot in the head by Israeli forces during clashes in his hometown of Hizma.

The funeral was launched from the Palestine Medical Complex in Ramallah city, where Kanaan was being treated, towards Hizma, where the funeral prayer was performed before mourners laid Kanaan to rest in the town’s cemetery.

According to Ma’an documentation, Kanaan was the fifth Palestinian to have been shot and killed by Israelis in the past two weeks during clashes with Israeli forces that had erupted across the occupied West Bank and East Jerusalem in response to Israeli security measures at Al-Aqsa Mosque compound and the violent repression of a near two-week long Palestinian civil disobedience campaign.

According to the Palestinian Red Crescent, approximately 1,090 Palestinians had been injured within 10 days of Israeli authorities installing metal detectors, turnstiles, and additional security cameras at Al-Aqsa following a deadly shooting attack at Al-Aqsa on July 14.

Despite Palestinians celebrating victory and returning to the compound after a nearly two week boycott on Thursday -- once all the entrances had been reopened and the Israeli security measures dismantled -- Israeli forces quickly suppressed worshipers who were celebrating their return to the mosque, which is the third holiest site in Islam.

The Palestinian Red Crescent said in a statement that their crews treated more than 90 Palestinian worshipers for rubber-coated steel bullet injuries and tear gas inhalation, while others were physically assaulted and pepper sprayed by Israeli forces.

Meanwhile, Israeli news outlet Arutz Sheva reported on Thursday that Israeli police chief in Jerusalem Yoram Halevy had threatened Palestinian worshipers should they keep up with mass demonstrations.

"If they try to disrupt the order tomorrow, there will be casualties,” Halevy said. “Do not try us. We know how to react vigorously."

Despite Israeli threats and newly imposed restrictions on worshipers, Palestinians showed up in the thousands to pray at Al-Aqsa Mosque compound on Friday, while clashes erupted in the southern West Bank city of Bethlehem, with at least one Palestinian injured with live fire.

Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015