Saturday, Aug. 19
Latest News
  1. Israeli forces injure 3 Palestinians with live ammunition during raids
  2. Israel releases 19-year-old extremist Israeli from detention
  3. Israeli settlers throw rocks at Palestinian homes in Hebron city
  4. Israeli forces shoot, injure Palestinian in the chest in Gaza
  5. Egypt closes Rafah crossing after 4 day opening
  6. Israeli forces suppress weekly march in Kafr Qaddum
  7. Palestinian leadership condemns attack in Barcelona that left 13 dead
  8. Israeli forces ban Palestinian journalist from Jerusalem
  9. Israeli court suspends eviction order for Shamasna family in Jerusalem
  10. Gaza heightens security near Egyptian border following deadly attack

25-year-old Palestinian succumbs to wounds days after being shot in head by Israeli forces

July 27, 2017 10:27 P.M. (Updated: July 28, 2017 2:00 P.M.)
Muhammad Kanaan
BETHLEHEM (Ma’an) -- 25-year-old Muhammad Kanaan succumbed to his wounds Thursday night, days after he was shot in the head by Israeli forces during clashes in his hometown of Hizma in the central occupied West Bank district of Jerusalem, according to the Palestinian Ministry of Health.

Kanaan had been in the Palestine Medical Complex in Ramallah in critical condition since he was shot on Monday.

According to Ma’an documentation, Kanaan was the fifth Palestinian to have been shot and killed by Israelis in the past two weeks, all during clashes with Israeli forces that had erupted across the occupied West Bank and East Jerusalem in response to Israeli security measures at the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound and the violent repression of a near two-week long Palestinian civil disobedience campaign.

According to the Palestinian Red Crescent, approximately 1,090 Palestinians had been injured within 10 days of Israeli authorities installing metal detectors, turnstiles, and additional security cameras at Al-Aqsa following a deadly shooting attack at Al-Aqsa on July 14.

Despite Palestinians celebrating victory and returning to the compound after a nearly two week boycott on Thursday -- once all the entrances had been reopened and the Israeli security measures dismantled -- Israeli forces quickly suppressed worshipers who were celebrating their return to the mosque, which is the third holiest site in Islam.

The Palestinian Red Crescent said in a statement that their crews treated more than 90 Palestinian worshipers for rubber-coated steel bullet injuries and tear gas inhalation, while others were physically assaulted and pepper sprayed by Israeli forces.

Prior to the compound’s reopening, Hebrew media reported that Israeli forces were being deployed across the West Bank to “reinforce their presence at seam zones in preparation to face any Palestinian protests that might be launched after prayer on Friday.”

Meanwhile, Israeli news outlet Arutz Sheva reported on Thursday that Israeli police chief in Jerusalem Yoram Halevy had threatened Palestinian worshipers should they keep up with mass demonstrations.

"If they try to disrupt the order tomorrow, there will be casualties,” Halevy said. “Do not try us. We know how to react vigorously."

Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2017