Saturday, April 20
Latest News
  1. Dozens injured by Israeli forces in weekly Kafr Qaddum march
  2. Israel prepares to demolish home of Palestinian attack suspect
  3. Israel shuts down Palestinian soccer tournament in East Jerusalem
  4. Israeli navy opens fire at Palestinian fishermen
  5. Israel demolishes home of Palestinian suspected of killing Israeli
  6. Teen activist urges EU to focus on climate change
  7. Israeli settlers attack Palestinian family in Hebron City
  8. Israel to impose week-long general closure on West Bank, Gaza
  9. Incendiary balloon lands in Ashkelon City
  10. Al-Quds University launches first astronomy club

2 Palestinians shot, 3 detained as Israeli forces continue to besiege Deir Abu Mashaal

June 18, 2017 4:15 P.M. (Updated: June 19, 2017 11:43 A.M.)
RAMALLAH (Ma'an) -- Israeli forces shot and injured three Palestinians and detained two others during a raid Sunday into the central occupied West Bank village of Deir Abu Mashaal, which remained under lockdown after three men from the village were shot dead while carrying out an attack in Jerusalem on Friday that left an Israeli border policewoman killed.

Locals told Ma’an that Israeli troops stormed the village for the third consecutive day after the attack, sparking clashes with residents.

A young man was shot in the leg with a live bullet and another was shot in the hand. They were both evacuated to the Palestinian Medical Complex in Ramallah for treatment.

Witnesses said Israeli forces detained two men and a woman during the clashes.

The woman was identified by the Palestinian Prisoner's Society as 42-year-old Inaya Atta, the wife of Palestinian prisoner Saleh Atta, who is serving a 21-year sentence in Israeli prison. Locals added that Israeli soldiers also raided her home and seized her jewelry before she was detained.

Residents in the village highlighted that Israeli forces continued to blockade the village for the third day as of Sunday, and that the village's two main entrances remained blockaded by large rocks and dirt berms, while the third entrance was secured by an iron gate and a military checkpoint.

An Israeli army spokesperson told Ma’an they were looking into reports of the clashes.

After Friday’s attack, Israeli forces first raided Deir Abu Mashaal to impose the lockdown, sparking violent clashes in which Israeli soldiers shot and injured four locals, while measurements were taken to punitive demolish the family homes of the three slain Palestinians -- Adel Hassan Ahmad Ankoush,18, Baraa Ibrahim Salih Taha, 18, and Usama Ahmad Dahdouh, 19.

Permits for members of their extended families were revoked by Israeli authorities, including long-term work permits.

Upon an order from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, all family visitation permits issued to Palestinians to enter Jerusalem and Israel for the Muslim holy month of Ramadan were also revoked as a punitive response to the attack -- rescinding the permits of 250,000 Palestinians in total.

In June 2016, in the wake of a shooting attack in Tel Aviv that left four Israelis dead, Israel imposed severe punitive measures across the occupied Palestinian territory, including a blockade of the assailants’ hometown and revocation of Ramadan permits for 83,000 West Bank Palestinians.

At the time, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Raad al-Hussein said the the measures “may amount to collective punishment and will only increase the sense of injustice and frustration felt by Palestinians in this very tense time.”

While “Israel has a human rights obligation to bring those responsible to account for their crimes,” he continued, “the measures taken against the broader population punish not the perpetrators of the crime, but tens -- maybe hundreds -- of thousands of innocent Palestinians.”

Meanwhile, Palestinians in occupied East Jerusalem said they have been subjected to collective punishment measures since Friday's attack, with all Palestinians with West Bank IDs being rounded up and sent back to the West Bank in special police buses, as streets and business in and around the Old City have been forced to close until further notice.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015