Wednesday, March 29
Latest News
  1. Israeli interrogators attempt to strangle Palestinian prisoner
  2. Israeli forces demolish 2 Palestinian homes in Jabal al-Mukabbir
  3. Abbas arrives in Jordan for 28th Arab Summit
  4. Poll: Majority of Jewish Israelis oppose ending 50-year occupation
  5. 2 Palestinians held without charge continue hunger strikes
  6. Israeli forces detain 25 Palestinians across West Bank, East Jerusalem
  7. PA opens nominations for local elections amid ongoing opposition
  8. Israeli authorities demolish 2 buildings in East Jerusalem's Issawiya
  9. Palestinian foreign minister meets with Arab League members in Jordan
  10. Al-Aqsa guards detained after altercation with Israeli archaeologists

Egyptian army colonel killed, 2 soldiers injured in Sinai bombing

March 9, 2017 5:15 P.M. (Updated: March 9, 2017 5:15 P.M.)
(File)
CAIRO (Ma’an) -- An Egyptian army colonel was killed on Thursday while two Egyptian soldiers were injured in a bombing attack on an Egyptian police tank in the city of al-Arish in the Sinai Peninsula. 

Egyptian officials told Ma’an that colonel Yasser Muhammad al-Hadidi, 50, who served as a general security inspector in the southern Sinai was killed while two soldiers were injured after their tank was “targeted and bombed.”

The Sinai Peninsula has been the site of ongoing attacks -- predominantly targeting Egyptian military and police forces -- which have increased since Egyptian President Abd al-Fattah al-Sisi took power from Muhammad Morsi of the Muslim Brotherhood in 2013.

The Egyptian president came under attack following his violent suppression of Muslim Brotherhood members following his rise to power, which al-Sisi has argued is necessary to deter future attacks in the Sinai and across Egypt.

The ongoing insurgency has led to heightened tension between civilians living in Sinai and security forces controlling the area.

In January, Egyptian forces killed at least 10 Egyptian youths in al-Arish, who Egyptian forces claimed were responsible for carrying out “terror attacks” over the previous days in the town.

However, days later, Al-Jazeera reported that residents in al-Arish were accusing the state of carrying out "extrajudicial killings," saying that six of the slain youths named by the Egyptian Ministry of Interior had been detained months ago by Egyptian authorities.

Al-Sisi said in January that 25,000 soldiers were deployed in northern Sinai to fight the militants, a previously undisclosed figure that seemed to underline the magnitude of the conflict.

According to a report from Human Rights Watch (HRW), the Egyptian government said that its counterterrorism operations in North Sinai killed at least 3,091 “terrorists” between January and July 2015, with HRW noting that the government did not allow independent observers into the area of fighting and did not acknowledge any civilian deaths in the Sinai, while the Egyptian government has barred journalists from reporting on events in the Sinai.

Amid the violence, Egyptian authorities have also been accused of heavy-handed tactics, including collective punishment following deadly attacks, by imposing curfews and a state of emergency, and even ordering the destruction of hundreds of homes skirting Sinai’s border with the besieged Gaza Strip.

Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2017