Wednesday, May 23
Latest News
  1. Palestine asks ICC to investigate Israeli settlement activity
  2. Israel issues 54 administrative detention orders since May 1
  3. Groups claim Israeli medical neglect in death of Palestinian prisoner
  4. Shots fired at Israeli vehicle near Ramallah
  5. President Abbas hospitalized for lung infection
  6. Israeli forces detain 15 Palestinians overnight
  7. Israeli army shells alleged Hamas sites in central Gaza Strip
  8. 5 Palestinians detained in overnight raids
  9. EU announces €3 million humanitarian aid for Gaza
  10. Two Gaza men succumb to wounds sustained during Monday protests

Reports: Israeli Supreme Court rules in favor of punitive demolition of slain Palestinian's home

Feb. 23, 2017 8:27 P.M. (Updated: Feb. 27, 2017 7:44 P.M.)
BETHLEHEM (Ma’an) -- The Israeli Supreme Court ruled in favor of the punitive demolition of the home of slain Palestinian Fadi Ahmad al-Qunbar in the occupied East Jerusalem neighborhood of Jabal al-Mukabbir, Hebrew-language news sites reported on Thursday.

Al-Qunbar was shot dead by Israeli forces last month after he drove into a group of Israeli soldiers in an illegal Israeli settlement in occupied East Jerusalem, killing four soldiers.

Al-Qunbar's relatives, who have repeatedly denied having advanced knowledge of any plans to carry out an attack, were also delivered notices shortly after the attack that their Jerusalem residencies were being punitively revoked by the Israeli government.

The court said in Thursday’s order that "based on provided evidences, it was clear that the family was fully aware of their son’s intention to commit the attack and we have reached a decision to allow the demolition of their house as a reasonable punishment.”

Al-Qunbar’s family will be left homeless by Israel's policy of punitive home demolition, which has been widely condemned as an act of collective punishment and illegal under international law.

Israeli leaders also called for the family to be expelled to the besieged Gaza Strip or exiled to war-torn Syria in the wake of the attack.

Israel's Jerusalem municipality has reportedly approved plans to establish a new settlement in the neighborhood, on the site of al-Qunbar’s home, according to a report by Israel's Channel 10.

In addition to the pending demolition of al-Qunbar’s home, Israel stepped up demolitions of other homes in the area in the wake of the attack, with Israeli human rights group B’Tselem reporting that Israeli authorities had handed 40 demolition notices in Jabal al-Mukabbir between Jan. 8, when the attack took place, and Jan. 11.

Israel has come under harsh condemnation over the past several years for its response to attacks committed by Palestinians on Israelis, which rights groups have said amounted to “collective punishment” and represents a clear violation of international law.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2018