Wednesday, Sept. 19
Latest News
  1. Injuries reported as Israel suppresses Gaza protest
  2. UN fund releases US$ 1 million to avoid collapse of services in Gaza
  3. EU appoints new Special Representative to Middle East peace process
  4. 326 Israeli settlers storm Al-Aqsa to perform prayers
  5. Thousands of Israelis hold celebrations at Ibrahimi Mosque
  6. Israel approves 220 settlement units in East Jerusalem
  7. Israeli forces injure Palestinian during West Bank clashes
  8. Israeli forces detain 11 Palestinians, including teenage girl
  9. Palestinian succumbs to wounds after brutal assault by Israeli forces
  10. Israeli forces injure 95 Palestinians during naval march

2 rockets launched from Sinai land in southern Israel, Israeli army says

Feb. 20, 2017 10:44 A.M. (Updated: Feb. 20, 2017 5:06 P.M.)
One of the rockets that fell in southern Israel (Photo: Israeli army)
BETHLEHEM (Ma'an) -- Two rockets launched from Egypt's Sinai Peninsula hit an open area in southern Israel on Monday morning causing no injuries or damages, the Israeli army said in a statement.

The rockets landed in the Eshkol Regional Council in the northwestern Negev region, the statement said. The Israeli army said they were searching the area.

The strike came a day after the Egyptian army said in statement that it had uncovered and destroyed what it called a "central tunnel" between the Sinai border town of Rafah and the southern besieged Gaza Strip, claiming it had been used by an unspecified "terrorist group."

While tunnels along the border are used by Hamas as a source of tax revenue and inflow of weapons, they also supply highly demanded necessities for Gazans -- who have been trapped under Israeli siege for a decade -- including food, medicine, and much-needed infrastructure materials.

Also on Sunday, Islamic State-aligned Amaq News agency claimed that an Israeli drone killed four members of the local Islamic State affiliated group the Sinai Province the previous day while they were in a vehicle near Rafah.

The report said the four slain men had been planning to fire rockets at Israel. Muhammad Eid, a Palestinian from Gaza, was reportedly among those killed in the strike.

Two weeks ago, the Sinai Province also reportedly claimed a barrage of rockets fired at the southern Israeli city of Eilat.

On the sixth anniversary of Egypt's January 25 revolution last month, the Israeli government warned its citizens of possible "terrorist attacks" in Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula.

The Sinai Peninsula has been the site of ongoing attacks -- predominantly targeting Egyptian military and police forces -- which have increased since Egyptian President Abd al-Fattah al-Sisi took power from Muhammad Morsi of the Muslim Brotherhood in 2013.

The Egyptian president came under attack following his violent suppression of Muslim Brotherhood members following his rise to power, which al-Sisi has argued is necessary to deter future attacks in the Sinai and across Egypt.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015