Wednesday, March 29
Latest News
  1. Israeli interrogators attempt to strangle Palestinian prisoner
  2. Israeli forces demolish 2 Palestinian homes in Jabal al-Mukabbir
  3. Abbas arrives in Jordan for 28th Arab Summit
  4. Poll: Majority of Jewish Israelis oppose ending 50-year occupation
  5. 2 Palestinians held without charge continue hunger strikes
  6. Israeli forces detain 25 Palestinians across West Bank, East Jerusalem
  7. PA opens nominations for local elections amid ongoing opposition
  8. Israeli authorities demolish 2 buildings in East Jerusalem's Issawiya
  9. Palestinian foreign minister meets with Arab League members in Jordan
  10. Al-Aqsa guards detained after altercation with Israeli archaeologists

Palestinian brothers from East Jerusalem forced to demolish their own homes

Dec. 3, 2016 5:37 P.M. (Updated: Dec. 4, 2016 7:34 P.M.)
JERUSALEM (Ma'an) -- Two Palestinian brothers in the neighborhood of Silwan in occupied East Jerusalem were forced to demolish their own homes on Saturday in compliance with an Israeli court order.

One of the owners, Said al-Abbasi, told Ma’an that he and his brother Nasser had built their homes in the Karm al-Sheikh area of Silwan two-and-a-half years ago. However, before construction could be completed, the Jerusalem municipality delivered demolition orders for their homes.

During the court hearings, the al-Abbasi brothers, who are the fathers 12 children combined, were forced to close the construction site with concrete until all legal proceedings had concluded.

Said told Ma’an that the Jerusalem municipality had threatened to imprison the two brothers if they tried to resume construction at the site.

According to the brothers, they had attempted to obtain a license from the Jerusalem municipality over the past two years, but all their efforts were rejected. An Israeli court ruled in October that the houses must be demolished for lacking Israeli-issued building permits and the fact that the homes were being built on land the municipality had declared an “open space reserve.”

The brothers eventually chose to self-demolish their homes to avoid costly fees charged by the municipality if it was to carry out the demolition.

A spokesperson for the Jerusalem municipality was not immediately available to comment on the incident.

At the end of last month, Israeli forces demolished two Palestinian structures in the East Jerusalem neighborhoods of Jabal al-Mukabbir and Silwan.

Earlier in November, Israeli forces demolished a Palestinian home that was under construction, and sealed off restaurant in the Jerusalem area, leaving four families without a source of income.

Israeli bulldozers also demolished the foundation of a mosque in the village of Sur Bahir in Jerusalem, just a few hours after several agricultural structures were demolished in Silwan and Jabal al-Mukabbir, amid a spate of demolitions that day across the occupied Palestinian territory.

Nine Palestinian households were also left without a steady income in the Jerusalem neighborhood of Beit Hanina when they were forced to demolish their own commercial stores, and 12 Palestinians were left homeless when they were forced to demolish their apartments in Jabal al-Mukabbir.

Though the Israeli Jerusalem municipality has said it receives a disproportionately low number of permit applications from Palestinian communities in East Jerusalem compared to the Jewish population, and that Palestinian applications "see high approval ratings," procedures to apply for Israeli-issued building permits are lengthy, sometimes lasting for several years, while the application costs can reach up to 300,000 shekels ($79,180).

As four out of five of Palestinians in East Jerusalem live under the poverty line, applying for these permits is nearly impossible. As a result, only 7 percent of Jerusalem building permits go to Palestinian neighborhoods.

Demolitions of Palestinian structures and homes in the occupied West Bank and East Jerusalem have seen an unprecedented surge this year, with the number of structures demolished in the first half of 2016 well exceeding the total number of demolitions carried out in all of 2015.

At least 1,569 Palestinians have been displaced since the beginning of 2016 as a result of demolitions in the occupied territory, compared to 688 Palestinians displaced over the entirety of 2015, according to UN documentation.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2017