Friday, April 20
Latest News
  1. Gaza activists move tents 50 meters closer to security fence
  2. Israeli police detain Palestinian at Qalandiya checkpoint
  3. Israel issues 41 administrative orders to Palestinian prisoners
  4. Israeli forces shell southern Gaza, injuring 5 Palestinians
  5. 4 Palestinians, 2 teenagers, killed by Israeli artillery fire
  6. Israeli forces open fire on fishermen off Gaza coast
  7. Palestinian dies of wounds in Gaza, raising death toll to 32
  8. Israeli settlers break into and torch Palestinian mosque in Nablus
  9. At least 9 injured with as Israel suppresses ongoing Gaza protests
  10. Israeli forces kill Palestinian along southern Gaza border

Israel to release slain Palestinian gunman's daughter, banning her from Jerusalem

Oct. 16, 2016 1:23 P.M. (Updated: Oct. 16, 2016 6:47 P.M.)
A screenshot of a video showing 17-year-old Eiman Abu Sbeih reacting to the death of her father Misbah Abu Sbeih after he carried out a deadly shooting attack in East Jerusalem.
JERUSALEM (Ma'an) -- An Israeli court in Jerusalem ruled on Sunday to release the teenage daughter of Misbah Abu Sbeih, a Palestinian man who was killed by Israeli forces after he shot and killed two Israelis in occupied East Jerusalem last week.

Lawyer Muhammad Mahmoud of prisoners' rights group Addameer told Ma’an that 17-year-old Eiman Abu Sbeih would be released on multiple conditions, including that she be banned from entering occupied East Jerusalem, where she is from, for two months.

She was also barred from speaking to the media and from using social media for one month.

The family was also required to pay a bail of 2,500 shekels ($654) upon her release.

Eiman was detained last Monday, a day after a video of her praising her father's actions went viral on social media.

"We deem my father as martyr,” she said in the video. “We hope he will plead for us before God on judgment day…I am proud of what my father did."

Eiman said in the video that on the day of the shooting, she performed dawn prayers with her father before bidding him farewell, as she and her family were expecting him to turn himself in to Israeli authorities regarding a warrant for his arrest.

"I asked if he wanted me to visit him in prison, and he replied: ‘Take care of your prayers and your studies, and I wish that you excel in your studies,’" she recalled in the video.

The decision to release Eiman came one day after Israeli forces detained her 18-year-old brother Sbeih at the Qalandiya checkpoint between Jerusalem and Ramallah.

Sbeih and Eiman's brother Izz al-Din remained in Israeli custody, after a court decided on Friday to extend his detention until Thursday. Meanwhile, Abu Sbeih's father, brothers, and uncles have all been summoned for detention at different points over the past week.

The Abu Sbeih family have been the victims of a larger campaign on part of Israeli authorities targeting Palestinians in the West Bank and East Jerusalem in the wake of the shooting.

Israeli forces raided a ‘mourning tent’ in Hebron on Friday, dedicated to Abu Sbeih’s memory. Witnesses told Ma’an that Israeli soldiers ripped down pictures of Abu Sbeih and placards decorated with political slogans before leaving the area.

Israeli forces have carried out violent raids in the occupied West Bank town of al-Ram, where Abu Sbeih was forced to move with his family after Israeli authorities banned him from East Jerusalem earlier this month. During one raid, Israeli soldiers rounded up all family members in one room at gunpoint and did not allow them to talk or move.

Israeli forces also took measurements of his family's home in what was likely in preparation to punitively demolish it, and the family said that Israeli soldiers threatened to revoke their Jerusalem residency IDs.

Israeli authorities have also launched massive detention campaigns and heightened security measures throughout occupied East Jerusalem and the West Bank, coinciding with already stringent measures imposed on the occasion of a string of Jewish holidays that has seen all passage between Israel and the West Bank and the Gaza Strip suspended.

Recent violent raids have prompted clashes with Palestinian youths, leading to 20-year-old Ali Atef Shuyukhi being shot to death by Israeli soldiers last week, making him the 233rd Palestinian to be killed by Israeli forces after a wave of violence erupted last year across the Palestinian territory and Israel.

A 16-year-old Palestinian was also critically injured after being shot in the head with a live bullet during clashes in al-Jalazun refugee camp Saturday evening, which saw 19 other Palestinians injured as they marched to commemorate the anniversary of the killing of a 13-year-old Palestinian boy by Israeli forces last year.

Israeli authorities have come under repeated criticism for their response to attacks, which routinely include carrying out large scale detention raids, limiting the freedom of mobility of Palestinians.

Their actions have been condemned by rights groups, who have said the measures amount to “collective punishment” and “court-sanctioned revenge,” and represent a clear violation of international law.

Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2018