Saturday, Sept. 22
Latest News
  1. Injuries as Israel suppresses 26th March of Return
  2. Israel releases four Palestinian prisoners from Bethlehem
  3. Israeli forces injure 2 Palestinians in Kafr Qaddum march
  4. Israeli settler runs over Palestinian teen in Hebron City
  5. Spain ready to recognize Palestinian state
  6. Lebanon bans 'The Nun' on religious grounds
  7. EP delegation: 'Khan al-Ahmar demolition considered war crime'
  8. Russia: 'Troubling indications that peace efforts are undermined'
  9. 1 Gazan injured in Israeli airstrike, 6 others shot along border
  10. Incendiary balloons spark fires in Israeli communities near Gaza

Palestinian teen shot after alleged stabbing attempt near Kiryat Arba

Sept. 23, 2016 12:42 P.M. (Updated: Nov. 13, 2016 8:21 P.M.)
(File)
BETHLEHEM (Ma'an) -- A Palestinian teen was reportedly shot by Israeli forces after allegedly attempting to carry out a stabbing attack in the southern occupied West Bank on Friday.

An Israeli army spokesperson told Ma'an that an "assailant" attempted to carry out a stabbing attack against soldiers stationed at the Elias junction near the illegal settlement of Kiryat Arba in the West Bank district of Hebron, when he was shot by soldiers.

The young Palestinian was receiving treatment for his injuries, the spokesperson added. Israeli media reported that the Palestinian had been shot in the stomach, and was suffering from moderate to critical wounds.

The Palestinian Ministry of Health identified the injured teen as Usama Murad Jamil Marie Zeidat, 14.

The army spokesperson told Ma'an that no Israelis were injured in the alleged attempted attack.

Israeli media reported that another Palestinian was with the Zeidat but fled the scene, with Israeli forces reportedly searching for them.

Seven Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces in the Hebron district since Sept. 15, after a period of relative calm since a wave of unrest spread across the occupied territory nearly a year ago, which has seen 230 Palestinians killed by Israelis and 32 Israelis killed by Palestinians.

The Hebron area in particular grew as the epicenter of upheaval, with Israeli authorities severely restricting the movement of Palestinians in parts of Hebron's Old City as a "closed military zone" for several months, while July’s closures in Hebron saw the most widespread restrictions on movement in the occupied West Bank in two years.

While Israel alleges many of those were attempting to attack Israelis when they were shot, Palestinians and rights groups have disputed Israel's version of events in a number of cases.

Israel has also come under repeated criticism for failing to carry out due process in response to alleged and actual attacks, particularly in regard to the apparent extrajudicial executions of Palestinians who did not pose a threat when they were killed.

In the wake of the past week's violence, the Israeli army deployed an additional battalion to the Hebron district, while an Israeli army officer vowed strict punitive measures would be imposed on Palestinian civilians in the area.

Meanwhile, Israeli forces have detained a number of Palestinians across the occupied West Bank for allegedly being in possession of knives in recent months amid the violence, many of them minors.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015