Thursday, Sept. 20
Latest News
  1. Israel releases Palestinian student after 7 months
  2. Palestinian demolishes own home upon Israeli court order
  3. Israel bans Al-Aqsa staff members from compound
  4. Israel to demolish family home of Palestinian prisoners
  5. Israel delivers stop-construction notice in al-Walaja
  6. Residents prevent seizure of land in Sheikh Jarrah
  7. Israel demolishes under-construction house in Ramallah
  8. Israeli forces severely assault, detain Hebron residents
  9. Wastewater reuse project launches in Ramallah City
  10. Israel releases Palestinian poet from prison

12-year-old Palestinian boy laid to rest a day after being killed in al-Ram

July 20, 2016 3:36 P.M. (Updated: July 21, 2016 2:21 P.M.)
RAMALLAH (Ma’an) -- A funeral procession was held on Wednesday for 12-year-old Palestinian Muhyee Sidqi al-Tibakhi, who was shot dead a day earlier in the village of al-Ram in the occupied West Bank district of Jerusalem, as Palestinian officials accused Israeli forces of being behind the boy’s death.

On Tuesday, locals reported that clashes erupted after Israeli forces raided the town of al-Ram, during which Muhyee was killed.

Palestinian Ministry of Health spokesman Osama Najah told Ma’an on Wednesday that Muhye’s family had declined to conduct an autopsy, but that the young boy had been shot in the chest and head.

Wrapped in a Palestinian flag, Muhyee’s body was taken in an ambulance from the Palestine Medical Complex in the city of Ramallah to al-Ram on Wednesday, where a funeral procession was held.

Hundreds of young men carried Muhyee’s body to his family home, where family members and friends were able to pay their respects for the last time. Muhyee was then carried to one of al-Ram’s mosques for funeral prayers.

Mourners then marched to the neighborhood’s cemetery, where the young boy was laid to rest.

Speeches delivered during the funeral denounced Muhyee’s killing as an act done “in cold blood.”

According to Israeli newspaper Haaretz, Israeli police and border police denied using live fire during the clashes in which Muhyee was killed, claiming that his death may have been the result of a “local dispute.”

However, Najah, the Palestinian Ministry of Health spokesperson fully attributed Muhyee’s killing to Israeli forces.

“They cannot deny that they killed him,” Najah said. “It’s their responsibility.”

Najah added that at least 63 Palestinians under the age of 18 had been killed by Israelis since October, when a wave of unrest began across the occupied Palestinian territory and Israel. More than 220 Palestinians have been killed by Israelis and some 32 Israelis have been killed by Palestinians during that time period.

Israeli forces have come under repeated criticism for excessive use of force, as well as lethal methods of crowd control that often result in death or injury of protesters.

Earlier on Wednesday, Palestinians buried 22-year-old Anwar Falah al-Salaymeh, who was also killed in al-Ram a week earlier when he and two friends driving in the area stumbled upon an ongoing Israeli army raid in the area.

At the time, the army said that forces shot at a “speeding vehicle heading towards them,” killing al-Salaymeh, although the other passengers in the car vehemently denied that they had been aware of presence of Israeli forces in the area and that they were heading to a bakery at the time of the shooting.

Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015