Saturday, Nov. 17
Latest News
  1. At least 40 Palestinians injured in Gaza protests
  2. Protesters suffer tear-gas suffocation in Bilin
  3. Two Palestinians injured as Israeli forces suppress Kafr Qaddum march
  4. Palestinian suffers face injury during Ras Karkar protest
  5. Australia, Malaysia trade words over embassy move to Jerusalem
  6. Israeli forces detain 2 Palestinians in West Bank raids
  7. Massive protests set off against Gaza ceasefire in Tel Aviv
  8. Israeli court:Wounded Gaza residents not eligible to seek compensation
  9. Israeli forces open fire at Palestinian farmers
  10. Abbas: 'Occupation will eventually demise and collapse'

Israel to carry out autopsy on Palestinian slain during army raid

July 14, 2016 1:57 P.M. (Updated: July 15, 2016 11:45 A.M.)
Anwar al-Salaymeh, 22, who was killed by Israeli forces on July 13, 2015.
RAMALLAH (Ma'an) -- Israel has decided to carry out an autopsy for a Palestinian who was killed by Israeli forces on Wednesday during a night raid in the central occupied West Bank.

Anwar Falah al-Salaymeh, 22, was in a car with two friends in the town of al-Ram in the West Bank's Jerusalem district in the early hours on Wednesday, seemingly unaware that Israeli soldiers were deployed in the town, when they encountered troops who fired shots at their vehicle, killing him.

Al-Salaymeh’s surviving friends, Fares Khader al-Rishq, 20, and Muhammad Nassar, 20, were both detained after the shooting, despite al-Rishq being critically wounded .

Lawyer Muhammad Mahmoud, who works with prisoners rights group Addameer, said in a statement on Thursday that al-Salaymeh’s family had agreed on an autopsy on the condition that a Palestinian doctor attend the procedure.

Mahmoud added that preliminary scans showed al-Salaymeh had been hit by three bullets in the back.

Meanwhile, the Israeli magistrate court extended al-Rishq and Nassar’s detention to Thursday, as they were presented in front of a judge on Wednesday for “taking part in a vehicular attack attempt against border guards while inside al-Ram town.”

Al-Rishq and Nassar rejected the accusations, saying they were on their way to a bakery in the area.

Mahmoud added that al-Rishq was in a stable condition in spite of his head injury, and was present in front of the judge.

The lawyer said that the issue of returning al-Salaymeh’s body to his family had not been discussed.

Al-Salaymeh is one of more than 220 Palestinians who have been killed by Israelis since a wave of unrest erupted in October. Some 32 Israelis have been killed by Palestinians during the same time frame.

The bodies of at least seven Palestinians killed while allegedly attacking Israelis have still not been returned to their families for burial -- an Israeli policy which rights groups have denounced as constituting collective punishment.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015