Tuesday, June 27
Latest News
  1. Israeli authorities approve budget for controversial 'Apartheid road'
  2. Hamas, Israel reportedly in 'advanced talks' over prisoners exchange
  3. Car accident on main West Bank highway leaves 6 Palestinians killed
  4. Israel orders for home in Beit Jala to be demolished
  5. 7 Palestinians detained, 8 hospitalized in violent military raids
  6. Pushing Gaza to suicide: The politics of humiliation
  7. Israeli airstrikes hit Gaza City, Rafah after rocket lands in Israel
  8. Leaked document says Muhammad Dahlan to become leader in Gaza Strip
  9. NGO: Israel practices 'systematic' torture on Palestinian detainees
  10. Israel refuses entry to UNESCO group expected to visit Hebron

Hamas claims Jerusalem bus explosion as Palestinian succumbs to his wounds

April 20, 2016 9:17 P.M. (Updated: April 21, 2016 12:19 P.M.)
A photo shared on social media reportedly shows Abd al-Hamid Abu Srour, 19, who died on April 20, 2016 after succumbing to wounds sustained during a Jerusalem bus explosion two days prior.
BETHLEHEM (Ma’an) -- A Palestinian youth, who Hamas has claimed was one of its operatives, succumbed to his wounds Wednesday after being severely wounded in an explosion on a Jerusalem bus two days prior.

A spokesperson for Shaare Zedek hospital told Ma’an the young man was severely burned and had lost both legs in the blast, which injured 20 other people. Although he underwent surgery, the youth did not survive his severe injuries, she added.

Soon afterwards, the Palestinian Ministry of Health declared identified the young man as 19-year-old Abd al-Hamid Abu Srour, from Aida refugee camp near Bethlehem in the southern occupied West Bank.

Hamas claimed responsibility for the bus blast following his death, saying Abu Srour was a member of the Islamist resistance movement and had carried out the bombing.

A Hamas communique claiming Abd al-Hamid Abu Srour, 19, was a Hamas operative behind a Jerusalem bus explosion on April 18, 2016.

An explosive device detonated on an Israeli bus Monday evening in southern Jerusalem, causing a fire which spread to a nearby empty bus and a private vehicle. The incident was eventually designated by Israeli police as a "terror attack."

While a Jerusalem court placed a gag order for Israeli media on details of an investigation into the incident, a number of outlets highlighted that Abu Srour's alleged responsibility for the attack was announced by Hamas officials in the West Bank, rather than the Gaza Strip.

Hamas -- alongside a number of other Palestinian factions -- immediately after Monday's explosion said it was a "natural reaction" to the ongoing Israeli military occupation.

The blast is the first attack of its type in years. Bus bombings were recurrent during the Second Intifada, which lasted from 2000 to 2005.

However, the current wave of unrest which has spread across the occupied Palestinian territory and Israel since October has been overwhelmingly marked by a surge of small-scale attacks carried out by Palestinian individuals -- predominantly on Israeli military targets.

More than 200 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces and settlers since October and nearly 30 Israelis have been killed in Palestinian attacks.

Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2017