Thursday, May 24
Latest News
  1. 22 Gazans transffered to Jordan for medical treatment
  2. Palestinian and Israeli settler fields set ablaze in Hebron district
  3. Israeli forces detain 5 Palestinians in overnight West Bank raids
  4. Israeli airstrikes target Gaza seaport and alleged Hamas tunnel site
  5. 2 Gazans charged with flying incendiary kites to Israel
  6. Palestine asks ICC to investigate Israeli settlement activity
  7. Israel issues 54 administrative detention orders since May 1
  8. Groups claim Israeli medical neglect in death of Palestinian prisoner
  9. Shots fired at Israeli vehicle near Ramallah
  10. President Abbas hospitalized for lung infection

Palestinian shot, killed by Israeli forces after attempted attack near Hebron

April 14, 2016 3:29 P.M. (Updated: April 15, 2016 1:11 P.M.)
BETHLEHEM (Ma'an) -- A Palestinian was shot and killed by Israeli forces at the entrance of al-Arroub refugee camp in the southern occupied West Bank on Thursday after allegedly attempting to attack a soldier.

An Israeli army spokesperson told Ma'an a Palestinian attacked an Israeli soldier with an ax near the camp, which is located in the northern Hebron governorate and is neighbored by the illegal settlement of Etzion.

"Israeli forces fired towards the assailant, resulting in his death," she said, adding that a soldier was wounded in the altercation, but did not need to be evacuated.

Palestinian medics identified the slain Palestinian as 50-year-old Ibrahim Baradiya.

Prior to Baradiya's killing, there had been no Palestinian or Israeli fatalities recorded in the context of attacks or clashes for two consecutive weeks -- the longest period without deaths since the escalation of violence in October 2015, according to the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.

Baradiya is the first Palestinian to be killed by Israeli forces since the March 24 killing of Abd al-Fattah Yusri al-Sharif, 21, which sparked international outrage after footage was released showing an Israeli soldier shooting al-Sharif in the head while the young Palestinian was lying wounded on the ground after allegedly stabbing an Israeli soldier.

An Israeli military court confirmed on Thursday that it would charge the soldier who killed al-Sharif with manslaughter rather than murder as had been widely expected.

More than 200 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces and settlers since a wave of unrest spread across the occupied Palestinian territory in October.

The unrest has been marked by a surge of small-scale attacks carried out by Palestinian individuals -- predominantly on Israeli military targets -- which have left nearly 30 Israelis dead, with the majority of suspected Palestinian attackers shot dead on site.

Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2018