Friday, Nov. 16
Latest News
  1. Israeli forces detain 2 Palestinians in West Bank raids
  2. Massive protests set off against Gaza ceasefire in Tel Aviv
  3. Israeli court:Wounded Gaza residents not eligible to seek compensation
  4. Israeli forces open fire at Palestinian farmers
  5. Abbas: 'Occupation will eventually demise and collapse'
  6. World Bank will continue to provide budget support to PA
  7. Czech Republic to contribute over €200,000 to UNRWA
  8. Abbas signs accession papers to several international conventions
  9. Israeli forces detain 4 Palestinians in West Bank
  10. Israel bans Jerusalemites entry as settlers storm Al-Aqsa

Israeli forces demolish walls in home of slain Palestinian attacker

March 31, 2016 10:17 A.M. (Updated: March 31, 2016 4:19 P.M.)
Israeli forces demolish the home of Ihab Maswada in Hebron on March 31, 2016. (Photo: Israeli army)
HEBRON (Ma'an) -- Israeli forces late Wednesday demolished part of the home belonging to the family of a Palestinian who was shot dead after stabbing an Israeli settler in December.

Locals said that Israeli forces closed all the entrances of the Jabal al-Sharif area in the southern occupied West Bank city of Hebron, and deployed heavily around the home of Ihab Fathi Maswada, as well as the house of Abd al-Rahman Yusri Maswada.

Ihab Maswada was killed on Dec. 7 after carrying out a stabbing attack against a settler near the Abu al-Rish checkpoint in southern Hebron. The Israeli settler succumbed to his wounds weeks later.

Maswada’s cousin, Abd al-Rahman, was killed on site on Dec. 9 after stabbing two Israelis on al-Shuhada Street.

Ihab Maswada’s brother said Israeli soldiers only gave the family ten minutes to evacuate the house, forcing them to go on the house’s second floor while they demolished the internal walls of the home.

Maswada’s mother said that Israeli soldiers then “fired a stun grenade inside the house and left the house laughing.”

Israeli authorities first issued a demolition order for Maswada’s home in early February, but had already threatened to destroy the house days after his death. His father said the demolition order was issued three days ago and that soldiers told them the demolition would be carried out in a week.

“We were surprised when they showed up after midnight,” he said.

Punitive home demolitions were expedited at the request of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in mid-October, and many have been carried out since.

The move came despite past recommendations by an Israeli military committee that the practice does not deter attacks.

While families who receive demolition orders are given the opportunity to appeal the measures, Israel’s High Court of Justice typically rejects such appeals, according to Israeli watchdog Hamoked.

Israeli rights group B’Tselem condemned the practice in October as "court sanctioned revenge," carried out on family members who have not committed crimes, amounting to collective punishment.

Israeli forces demolish the home of Ihab Maswada on March 31, 2016 in Hebron. (Photo: Israeli army)

Israeli forces demolish the home of Ihab Maswada on March 31, 2016 in Hebron. (Photo: Israeli army)
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015