Tuesday, Oct. 16
Latest News
  1. Foreign Ministry calls on Australia to reconsider Jerusalem remarks
  2. US Greenblatt reveals plan to unite West Bank, Gaza
  3. Japan-funded projects completed in Gaza Strip
  4. Kuwait approves $2.5 million contribution for Gaza
  5. Australian PM considers recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital
  6. Israel continues airstrikes over Gaza
  7. Israeli forces detain 15 Palestinians, including 3 minors
  8. Israeli settlers assault Palestinian farmer near Nablus
  9. Mayor Salman: Stop using Christians as a tool to whitewash occupation
  10. MOH: 32 Palestinians injured during Gaza naval march

14-year-old Palestinian girls indicted in Israeli court for stab attack

Feb. 11, 2016 9:03 P.M. (Updated: Feb. 12, 2016 3:40 P.M.)
AFP/File
JERUSALEM (Ma'an) -- Two 14-year-old Palestinian girls were indicted on Thursday after reportedly carrying out a stab attack on an Israeli security guard in Ramla’s central bus station last week, Israeli police said.

Israeli police spokesperson Luba al-Samri said that following an investigation into the incident, two Palestinian students were accused by the Israeli court’s public prosecution of trying to stab the security guard.

The 14-year-old girls also faced indictments for illegally carrying knives and planning the attack beforehand, the spokesperson added.

The two were detained on Feb. 4 after Israeli police spokesperson Micky Rosenfeld said a security guard was lightly injured in an attack.

Rosenfeld shared a photo on social media following the incident of two kitchen knives scattered amongst school papers at the scene of the incident. The knives appeared to be clean, with no signs of blood.

Thursday’s indictment came one day after two Palestinian minors were accused in a Jerusalem court of attempted murder and possession of a deadly weapon, according to Israeli media.

The minors, aged 14 and 16, were detained by Israeli police after a 17-year-old Israeli was stabbed and injured near the Old City’s Damascus Gate in occupied East Jerusalem on Jan. 30.

Israeli daily Haaretz reported that their indictment alleged they had carried out the attack “after having watched video of Israeli soldiers degrading Palestinian women.”

Amid a wave of attacks carried out by Palestinian individuals on Israeli military and civilians that began in October, the majority of suspected attackers have been shot dead on scene, many of whom rights groups say posed no threat at the time of their death.

As trials begin for some that were detained instead of killed, they enter an Israeli court system that has long received pushback from critics who argue it unfairly prosecutes Palestinians while giving Jewish Israelis immunity.

Last month, five Palestinian teens from the occupied West Bank village of Hares who were accused of manslaughter after reportedly throwing stones were sentenced to 15 years in prison.

The case was disputed by relatives and rights groups, who said that insufficient evidence was provided to prove that the five had any involvement in the death of an Israeli toddler who passed away two years after the teens were accused of throwing stones at her mother's vehicle, causing it to crash.

The teens denied the allegations, but later signed confessions reportedly after being abused in prison and during interrogations.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015