JERUSALEM (Ma’an) – Hundreds of mourners joined on Sunday the funeral procession of Muhammad Nabil Halabiya, 17, who was killed Saturday night by a pipe bomb that exploded prematurely.
Hani Halabiya, a relative of the teen and a spokesman of the popular resistance committee in the occupied East Jerusalem town of Abu Dis, told Ma’an that Muhammad, originally from Abu Dis, had been holding a pipe bomb near an Israeli military site on Saturday night when it prematurely exploded in his hands, killing him.
“Israeli forces did not allow ambulances to access him," Hani said, adding that the forces handed over Muhammad’s body after holding it for four hours.
Muhammad's remains were first taken to a medical center in Abu Dis where doctors examined the body. Doctors reported that the boy's remains were covered in burn marks and blast wounds.
During Muhammad's funeral, mourners carried his body from his home in Abu Dis to the town’s mosque for special mid-day prayers, then marched to the cemetery where the 17-year-old was led to rest.
Muhammad left behind a mother and two brothers, Ahmad, 15, and Mahmoud, 13.
Muhammad's father Nabil died in 2002 only 40 days after his grandfather, Darwish, was killed by Israeli soldiers. The grandfather was 65 at the time of his death.
Hani said Darwish had been arguing with Israeli forces who were supervising the construction of Israel's separation wall in Abu Dis when he was reportedly pushed to his death.
“Darwish was standing in front of Israeli soldiers and during heated argument and one of the soldiers assaulted him, then pushed him, causing him to fall on his back in a hilly area. He died immediately,” Hani said.