Sunday, May 20
Latest News
  1. EU announces €3 million humanitarian aid for Gaza
  2. Two Gaza men succumb to wounds sustained during Monday protests
  3. UN calls for investigation into Israel's deadly use of force in Gaza
  4. Israeli forces detain 6 Palestinians in West Bank raids
  5. Israeli forces seal agricultural roads in Bethlehem-area town
  6. Egypt to open Rafah crossing for entire month of Ramadan
  7. Israeli bulldozers raze lands near Gaza protest camps
  8. Gaza activists prevent entry of medications sent by Israel
  9. Gaza death toll rises to 61, according to health ministry
  10. Israeli forces detain 3 former Palestinian prisoners from Qalqiliya

Palestinian shot dead after Israeli soldier stabbed at Gush Etzion

Jan. 5, 2016 10:08 A.M. (Updated: Jan. 5, 2016 7:51 P.M.)
(MaanImages/File)
BETHLEHEM (Ma'an) -- An 18-year-old Palestinian was shot dead after he reportedly stabbed an Israeli soldier south of Bethlehem in the occupied West Bank, Israel's army said.

An Israeli army spokeswoman told Ma'an that an assailant stabbed and lightly wounded a soldier stationed at the Gush Etzion junction.

"Israeli forces responded to the attack and shot the assailant, resulting in his death," she said, adding that the soldier had been evacuated for medical treatment.

Palestinian security sources later identified the Palestinian as Ahmad Younis Kawazba, 18, from the town of Sair north of Hebron.

Despite initial reports his body had been returned, the sources confirmed that it was still being held by the Israeli authorities.

Kawazba is the sixth resident of Sair to be shot dead by Israeli forces since a wave of unrest swept the occupied Palestinian territory at the beginning of October.

The Gush Etzion junction -- the entrance point to the illegal Gush Etzion settlement bloc -- has seen several deadly encounters in that period, with more than 10 reported attacks that have resulted in at least six Palestinian and three Israeli deaths.

At least 140 Palestinians have been killed by Israelis since the beginning of October across the occupied Palestinian territory and Israel.

While Israel alleges many of those were attempting to attack Israelis when they were shot, Palestinians and rights groups have disputed Israel's version of events in a number of cases.

The attacks that have taken place -- claiming the lives of more than 20 Israelis -- have been accompanied by a wave of popular unrest that has swept the occupied Palestinian territory and Israel.

Rights groups have repeatedly condemned Israeli forces for the unnecessary use of lethal force against Palestinians who did not pose an imminent threat at the time of their death.

Ahmad Younis Kawazba, 18, from the town of Sair north of Hebron.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2018