CAIRO (Ma'an) -- Egyptian forces on Thursday killed 15 armed militants, and injured dozens more in an airstrike operation in the Sinai Peninsula, Egyptian security sources said.
Sources said that Egyptian air forces hit 16 targets near southern Rafah and the town of Sheikh Zuweid
and succeeded in foiling a planned attack against the Egyptian army.
Egyptian sources did not specify the armed group that was targeted, however most of the attacks that have taken place against Egyptian military this year have been claimed by the Sinai Province group, which pledged allegiance to the Islamic State last year.
Sinai Province has been the main instigator in an ongoing military insurgency that has killed hundreds of soldiers and policemen since the Egyptian army took power from Islamist president Mohamed Morsi in 2013.
Morsi's overthrow unleashed a sweeping crackdown on Islamists that left hundreds of protesters dead and thousands in prison.
Despite high insurgent fatalities reported by the government, there has been little noticeable effect on anti-regime militant groups' ability to carry out deadly attacks on the security forces.