Friday, July 28
Latest News
  1. Thousands of Palestinians perform Friday prayers on Jerusalem streets
  2. Israel bans 21 Palestinians from entering Al-Aqsa for 15 days
  3. Thousands in Hizma march in funeral of slain Palestinian
  4. Palestinian shot in alleged stabbing attack at Gush Etzion junction
  5. Israeli forces supress worshipers in Bethlehem
  6. Jordanian King slams Netanyahu over handling of embassy guard crisis
  7. Israel imposes new restrictions on Al-Aqsa
  8. At least 100 Palestinians detained from Al-Aqsa Mosque amid clashes
  9. Palestinian shot in head on Monday succumbs to wounds
  10. IPS releases Shirin Issawi from solitary confinement after 36 days

Palestinian killed after injuring 6 Israeli soldiers in car attack

Nov. 27, 2015 1:08 P.M. (Updated: Nov. 28, 2015 11:27 A.M.)
(AFP/File)
BETHLEHEM (Ma'an) -- A Palestinian suspect was shot and killed on Friday after a vehicle attack in Beit Ummar which left six Israeli soldiers injured, Israel's army and locals said.

An Israeli army spokesperson said that six Israeli soldiers were injured in a "car ramming" in Beit Ummar north of the occupied West Bank city of Hebron, with the Palestinian suspect shot and killed.

The area was closed off following the attack, Israeli police said.  

Locals identified the victim as Omar Arafat Issa al-Zaaqiq, 19.

Four soldiers were moderately injured and two suffered light injuries.  Israeli media later reported five total injuries, four moderate and one light.

Earlier, Fadi Muhammad Mahmoud Khasib, 25, from Ramallah was shot and killed by an Israeli settler northeast of Jerusalem after a vehicle attack near the Kfar Adumim settlement, which left two soldiers injured.

Fadi's brother, Shadi, was shot dead on Sunday by an Israeli settler near the scene of Friday's incident by the illegal Kafr Adumim settlement.

At least 101 Palestinians have been killed since the start of last month, more than 20 of whom were children and over 40 of whom were from the Hebron district where Beit Ummar is located.

The majority were killed during attempted, alleged, and actual attacks on Israeli military and civilians.

Nineteen Israelis have been killed in attacks during the same time period.

The Hebron area has repeatedly been put on lockdown by the Israeli military following such attacks, and Palestinian residents have reported increased levels of overnight search and arrest raids, road closures, and invasive security checks.

Over 1,000 work permits for Hebron Palestinians working in Israel were frozen by Israeli authorities, and expected to come as a severe blow to the livelihoods of workers' families.

Israeli daily Haaretz reported Friday that the Israeli military may consider launching increased large-scale operations in the district, including curfews, if violence continues to intensify.

Right-wing elements of the Israeli government have reportedly called for the implementation of actions similar to those taken during "Operation Defensive Shield," which took place in the West Bank in 2002 during the Second Intifada,  according to the news report.

The operation -- which Israeli authorities at the time said was necessary to stop attacks -- left nearly 500 Palestinians dead and thousands detained.

Violence that appeared to escalate at the beginning of last month has continued full-fledged through November, with 13 Palestinians and two Israelis killed in the last week alone.

Around a third of Palestinians killed this week were shot by Israeli forces during clashes and overnight search raids.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2017