Tuesday, Nov. 20
Latest News
  1. Israeli forces detain Palestinian woman for alleged knife possession
  2. Detentions, injuries reported during clashes near Nablus
  3. Right to Education Campaign condemns detention of Palestinian student
  4. Israeli bulldozers demolish Palestinian structures in East Jerusalem
  5. Netanyahu appoints himself as defense minister
  6. Israel razes land, confiscates vehicles in East Jerusalem
  7. Israeli bulldozers raze land, confiscate vehicles in East Jerusalem
  8. Israeli settlers attack Palestinian homes near Nablus
  9. Critically injured Palestinian among others shot by Israeli forces
  10. Israeli forces detain 22 Palestinians across West Bank

Israel demolishes 4 West Bank homes of Palestinians accused of attacks

Nov. 14, 2015 10:22 A.M. (Updated: Dec. 26, 2015 1:42 P.M.)
A Palestinian woman walks amid the rubble of a house after Israeli forces demolished the homes of two Palestinians in October. (AFP/Thomas Coex, File)
NABLUS (Ma’an) -- Israeli authorities overnight Friday demolished four homes belonging to the families of Palestinians accused of carrying out deadly attacks on Israeli settlers, the Israeli army said.

In the occupied West Bank city of Nablus, the homes of Yahia Haj Hamed, Samir Zahir Kusa, and Kerem Lutfi Razek were destroyed, the army said in a statement.

The three were detained on Oct. 5 along with two others after Israel’s Shin Bet identified them as responsible for killing two Israeli settlers on Oct. 1.

In the Ramallah-area town of Silwad, the Israeli army reported that forces demolished the residence of Muad Hamad, who they said killed an Israeli settler on June 29.

The demolitions took place under the order of Israel’s defense minister Moshe Yaalon and are a part of a series of punitive measures being carried out by the Israeli government to “deter” future attacks.

Israeli watchdog Hamoked filed a petition to the Israeli High Court against the four demolitions on Oct. 29.

The group appeals such cases on behalf of Palestinian families on the grounds that punitive home demolition constitutes collective punishment, as the main victims of the demolition are individuals who have not carried out crimes.

Spokesperson of the Hamas movement, Sami Abu Zuhri, on Saturday condemned “international silence towards Israeli war crimes," citing the demolition of Palestinian homes.

Zuhri added that demolitions would increase the determination of Palestinians resisting the Israeli occupation.

Israeli forces resumed the practice of punitive house demolitions in November last year, after stopping them in 2009.

According to Israeli rights group B'Tselem, an Israeli army investigation concluded in 2005 that the deterrence value of home demolitions was questionable, and the military decided to stop the practice.

No official reason was given for the resuming the policy last year, and Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu last month appointed the Minister of Justice to figure out legal methods for expediting punitive demolitions.

Friday’s demolitions come as the Oct. 1 attack has been viewed by Israeli authorities as the catalyst for a recent wave of violence that has left 83 Palestinians and 12 Israelis dead since.

In the attack, Israeli settlers Naama and Eitam Henkin were shot dead while driving between settlements in the Nablus area.

The attack sparked a series of reprisal attacks by settlers on Palestinians and their property, and was the first of several attacks carried out by Palestinians on Israeli military and civilians.

B’Tselem has pointed to punitive home demolitions as one of several measures implemented solely on Palestinians, while Israeli perpetrators of recent attacks faced little or no legal consequence.

Palestinian leadership and the international community have criticized Israel for neglecting to protect Palestinians living under Israeli occupation from attacks by settlers and lethal use of force by Israeli military.
Comments
outsider / Eu
The Israeli authorities stopped this form of collective punishment years ago as there is no indication that it achieves anything. This time, they don't care about such niceties.
14/11/2015 11:09
Byron / UK
The court did not allow one of the orders because the terrorist’s home was rented in an apartment building, the High Court upheld the defense ministry’s demolition orders against appeals. They belonged to Palestinians who murdered three Israelis.
14/11/2015 11:31
Mark of Lewiston / USA
It is an act of political revenge, pure and simple. It is attacking the civilians who have a blood relative who might have committed a crime, maybe. How many homeless children were created by this revenge? How many other homeless have been created by these barbarous acts of revenge?
14/11/2015 12:06
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015