Friday, Sept. 21
Latest News
  1. Israel releases Palestinian student after 7 months
  2. Palestinian demolishes own home upon Israeli court order
  3. Israel bans Al-Aqsa staff members from compound
  4. Israel to demolish family home of Palestinian prisoners
  5. Israel delivers stop-construction notice in al-Walaja
  6. Residents prevent seizure of land in Sheikh Jarrah
  7. Israel demolishes under-construction house in Ramallah
  8. Israeli forces severely assault, detain Hebron residents
  9. Wastewater reuse project launches in Ramallah City
  10. Israel releases Palestinian poet from prison

Demolition order issued to Jerusalem family of Palestinian attacker

Nov. 12, 2015 1:48 P.M. (Updated: Nov. 12, 2015 7:36 P.M.)
File photo of a demolished Palestinian home in Anata.(MaanImages/Anna Kokko)
JERUSALEM (Ma’an) -- Israeli authorities on Thursday issued a demolition order in occupied East Jerusalem to the family home of a Palestinian who carried out an attack on an Israeli bus last month, the family said.

Bahaa Elayyan, 22, was shot dead during an attack on Oct. 13 that left three Israelis dead. His family's home in the Jabal al-Mukkabir neighborhood is the most recent to face Israel’s revamped policy of punitive home demolition.

Bahaa’s father, Muhammad, told Ma’an that Israeli authorities issued the demolition order, giving the family until Friday to appeal.

Muhammad said that the home -- a 130 square meter flat -- is on the second story of an apartment building, and that its demolition would likely result in damage or destruction of the first and third floors.

Muhammad added that Israeli authorities are still in possession of Bahaa’s body.

The demolition order marks the latest use of the punitive measure by Israeli authorities.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu expedited punitive home demolitions the day after Bahaa carried out the attack alongside Bilal Abu-Ghanem, 23, also a Jabal al-Mukabbir resident.

The attack was one of many in a series of attacks carried out by Palestinians on Israeli military and civilians in Jerusalem last month.

The move came despite past recommendations by an Israeli military committee that the practice did not deter future attacks.

While families who receive demolition orders are given the opportunity to appeal the measures, Israel’s High Court of Justice typically rejects such appeals, according to Israeli watchdog Hamoked.

Israeli rights group B’Tselem meanwhile condemned the practice last month as “court sanctioned revenge” carried out on family members who have not committed crimes, amounting to collective punishment.

In addition home demolitions, punitive measures including withholding the bodies of Palestinians involved in attacks, arbitrary detention of family members, and closure of neighborhoods have also been implemented in East Jerusalem.

Comments
Brian Cohen / Israel
B'Tselem workers who are Jewish should go stand in front of the Shuafat neighborhood/camp with a sign saying "I am a Jew and I want to live with you in peace" and see how long before they are stabbed to death by peace loving Palestinians.
12/11/2015 14:59
ian / australia (1)
To Brian. "B'Tselem workers...should go stand in front of the Shuafat neighborhood/camp..." Of course, it would be dangerous, Brian, because "I am a Jew and I want to live with you in peace" is no different to what Netanyahu says. It's meaningless. But try "I am a Jew and al-Aqsa belongs to Palestinians!" or "I am a Jew and ALL settlers and soldiers
16/11/2015 22:45
ian / australia (2)
(contd.) should get out of Palestine" or "I am a Jew. End the Occupation!!" and you might get a "Shukran, habibi" or even a "Say YARABB!!!" They're not BORN dangerous monsters in Shuafat, Brian. They have been MADE that way. (And really, would you be greeted so very differently with your sign at Kiryat Arba or Yitzhar?)
16/11/2015 22:45
Send Comment
Name:
Country:
Comment:(300 chars)
Send
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015