Wednesday, March 20
Latest News
  1. Israeli forces detain Al-Aqsa guard, journalist, woman in Jerusalem
  2. Israeli forces demolish Palestinian homes in South Hebron Hills
  3. Israeli forces detain 11 Palestinians in West Bank raids
  4. 13 Palestinians injured along eastern, northern Gaza borders
  5. 2 Palestinians killed as Israeli settlers raid Joseph's Tomb
  6. Israeli forces injure Palestinian youth west of Ramallah
  7. Israeli forces shoot, kill Palestinian attack suspect near Ramallah
  8. NWC official: 'Only solution for Gaza crises is Hamas to step down'
  9. Israel delivers stop-construction order to Equestrian Club
  10. Israel, Greece to construct marine radar system on Crete

Mourners march at Hebron funeral of vehicle attack suspect

Nov. 5, 2015 2:22 P.M. (Updated: Nov. 5, 2015 7:27 P.M.)
HEBRON (Ma'an) -- Crowds of Palestinians marched in Hebron on Thursday for the funeral of Ibrahim Skafi, 22, who was killed by Israeli forces a day earlier after a vehicular attack which critically injured an Israeli border police officer.

The funeral set off after noon prayers from the al-Hussein Bin Ali Mosque towards the al-Shuhada cemetery.

Mourners chanted nationalist slogans and demanded that Israel returned the bodies of other Palestinians still being held by Israel after being killed following attacks on Israelis.

Israel delivered Skafi's body to a Red Crescent team at theTarqumiyah checkpoint in the southern West Bank late Wednesday.

His body was then taken to the a hospital in Hebron for medical checks before being returned to his family.

Israeli forces shot and killed Skafi after he carried out a suspected vehicular attack near the Halhul junction north of Hebron, emergency services and witnesses said.

Seventy-two Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces since the beginning of last month, many of whom were shot dead during attempted, alleged, and actual attacks on Israeli military and civilians.

At least nine Israelis have been killed in attacks by individual Palestinians during the same time period.

Israel continues to withhold the bodies of 22 Palestinians killed following attacks on Israelis during the month of October.

The refusal to turn over the dead to their families -- a policy that Israeli authorities supposedly halted near the end of the Second Intifada -- hasprovoked controversyamong Israeli officials and led tomass protestsin the occupied West Bank.

Decisions regarding whether or not to hand over Palestinian bodies are now being made on a case by case basis by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, in consultation with the ministers of defense and internal security, according to Israeli daily Haaretz.

Israeli Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon said the decisions would be based on the family's’ agreement to a “quiet funeral,” and would be "in accordance with ethical and security considerations."
Comments
Paulo / France
Doctors were fighting to save the life of the 20-yeard old Israeli border policeman who was run down by a Palestinian driving a car at the Halhul junction near Hebron Wednesday. The terrorist was shot and killed. His body was handed over to his family, despite a security cabinet decision not to.
05/11/2015 14:31
Josh / Benin
Israel returned the terrorist’s body, and the Palestinian Riyad Mansour published a letter to Ban Ki-moon accusing Israel of removing parts of Palestinian bodies before handing them over. The Israeli Ambassador replied that this was a Palestinian anti-Semitic lie. Israel has demanded that UN secretary finally denounce the violent Palestinian campaign of terror and lies.
05/11/2015 14:32
Send Comment
Name:
Country:
Comment:(300 chars)
Send
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015