Tuesday, Oct. 16
Latest News
  1. Foreign Ministry calls on Australia to reconsider Jerusalem remarks
  2. US Greenblatt reveals plan to unite West Bank, Gaza
  3. Japan-funded projects completed in Gaza Strip
  4. Kuwait approves $2.5 million contribution for Gaza
  5. Australian PM considers recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital
  6. Israel continues airstrikes over Gaza
  7. Israeli forces detain 15 Palestinians, including 3 minors
  8. Israeli settlers assault Palestinian farmer near Nablus
  9. Mayor Salman: Stop using Christians as a tool to whitewash occupation
  10. MOH: 32 Palestinians injured during Gaza naval march

10 shot, injured as Hebron rally erupts into fierce clashes

Oct. 27, 2015 3:36 P.M. (Updated: Oct. 27, 2015 6:58 P.M.)
HEBRON (Ma'an) -- Israeli forces shot and injured at least 10 Palestinians with live rounds in Hebron as a march protesting Israel's refusal to release the bodies of 11 Palestinians shot dead in Hebron earlier this month erupted into fierce clashes.

The march was called for by Palestinian factions across Hebron district, and set off from the al-Haras mosque toward Bab al-Zawiya in Hebron's city center.

A Ma'an reporter said that once there, Israeli forces assaulted dozens of Palestinians, including family members of the 11 Palestinians whose bodies Israel is still holding.

Israeli forces fired live and rubber-coated steel rounds, as well as tear gas canisters and stun grenades, while Palestinian youths responded by hurling stones.

The activist group International Solidarity Movement reported: "It was a peaceful demonstration, really just clapping and with flags, and suddenly everything was on fire."

Dr. Walid Zalloum, director of Hebron's governmental hospital, told Ma'an that at least 10 Palestinians had been brought to the hospital with gunshot wounds.

He said another three had been shot with rubber-coated steel bullets, while dozens more had suffered excessive tear gas inhalation.

"Our crews are treating each case accordingly," he said.

The "rally of anger" was called to protest Israel's decision to withhold the bodies of 11 Palestinians shot dead by Israeli forces earlier this month.

Dozens of local officials and prominent community leaders marched at the front of the demonstration.

Shortly before clashes erupted, these leaders approached Israeli soldiers at a military checkpoint that seals off Shuhada street from Bab al-Zawiya and demanded the release of the "martyrs."

Israeli soldiers reportedly told them to await the arrival of Israeli Civil Administration officers so they could make their request to them.

Since the beginning of October, 18 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces across Hebron district -- including five children.

The majority were shot dead in Hebron city -- the highest death toll outside of Jerusalem -- in most cases after they allegedly they attempted to carry out stabbing attacks on Israelis.

Earlier this month, Israel's security cabinet announced that the bodies of Palestinians shot dead by Israeli forces after carrying out attacks on Israeli citizens would no longer be returned to their families.

While Palestinians agree that several of those killed in Hebron were attempting to carry out knife attacks when they were shot, video footage and witness testimonies have raised serious questions over Israel's allegations in many of the other cases.

Comments
Joe Fattal / USA
If dead people are not allowed to rest in peace, how in the hell Israelis and Palestinians alike expect to live in peace. If there is no peace for the dead than they will never be peace. And Netanyahu is all for it, no peace regardless what the palestinians agree upon.
27/10/2015 16:23
Outlier / USA
Sorry Joe, but using dead people to foment more violence is entirely a Palestinian construct.
28/10/2015 06:52
Send Comment
Name:
Country:
Comment:(300 chars)
Send
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015