Monday, Aug. 19
Latest News
  1. Palestinian goverment: 26 million in development of ministries
  2. Rudeineh: Washington us unable to achieve anything by itself
  3. US: “No plan for unilateral annexation by Israel of the West Bank"
  4. Cluster of incendiary balloons land in southern Israel
  5. Palestinian FM condemns Germany's vote to define BDS as 'anti-Semitic'
  6. Israeli forces forcibly evict Muslim worshipers from Al-Aqsa
  7. Israeli forces detain 14-year-old Palestinian near Ramallah
  8. Erekat: Deviation from peace terms of reference doomed to fail
  9. Iceland's Hatari shocks Eurovision with Palestinian flags
  10. UNRWA: 4 Palestinian children killed in attack on Syria refugee camp

Israeli forces close checkpoints, detain two Palestinians in Nablus

Oct. 4, 2015 10:41 A.M. (Updated: Oct. 4, 2015 2:33 P.M.)
(MaanImages)
NABLUS (Ma’an) – Israeli forces detained two young Palestinian men from the northern occupied West Bank city of Nablus after raiding their homes before dawn on Sunday, local sources told Ma'an.

Locals identified the detained men as Ziad Amir and Usayd Fathi al-Sadiq.

An Israeli army spokesperson did not immediately respond for comment.

Tensions have soared in the northern district in recent days, following an attack south of Nablus that left two settlers dead on Thursday.

Since the attack freedom of movement within the district has been severely restricted, settler attacks have escalated and clashes between Palestinian youth and Israeli forces have been ongoing.

On Sunday afternoon, Israeli forces allegedly shot and injured a young Palestinian man in his foot during clashes with Israeli troops in Nablus's Urif village. 

Deputy mayor of the village Wajih Safadi told Ma’an that dozens of settlers from the illegal Yitzhar settlement set fire to fields in the Wadi al-Sarar area in the eastern outskirts of Urif catching tens of acres ablaze. 

He added that dozens of local residents gathered and clashed with the Israeli settlers and Israeli troops who later arrived to provide protection for the invading settlers. 

A Palestinian security source said Israeli forces have announced that the Beit Furik village checkpoint east of Nablus will be closed daily between the hours of 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. until further notice.

Beit Furik has been heavily raided for several days, as witnesses reported that Thursday's attackers fled to the village after the shooting and Israeli forces continue to search for the shooters.

Israeli forces also closed the main entrance to the village of Beit Dajan near Nablus in the northern West Bank with concrete barricades and earth mounds, according to the head of the village’s local council, Nasr Abu Jish.

Israeli settlers have launched a range of violent reprisals on Palestinians across the occupied West Bank during the last several days, while Israeli soldiers shot and injured at least 10 Palestinians with live rounds on Saturday as they searched for those behind the shooting.

However, violence by both Israeli soldiers and settlers is a regular occurrence in the occupied Palestinian territory.

According to UN figures, the Israeli army has injured 1,740 Palestinians across the occupied territory this year and killed at least 26 Palestinians.
The UN has meanwhile counted at least 151 attacks by settlers on Palestinian people and property.

Last month, settlers from the illegal settlement of Yizhar were reported to have set fire to dozens of olive trees in the Nalus village of Burin, in full sight of Israeli soldiers who reportedly did nothing to stop them.

There are more than 500,000 Israelis living in settlements across occupied East Jerusalem and the West Bank, in contravention of international law.

Send Comment
Name:
Country:
Comment:(300 chars)
Send
Most Read
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015