Friday, Sept. 21
Latest News
  1. Israel releases Palestinian student after 7 months
  2. Palestinian demolishes own home upon Israeli court order
  3. Israel bans Al-Aqsa staff members from compound
  4. Israel to demolish family home of Palestinian prisoners
  5. Israel delivers stop-construction notice in al-Walaja
  6. Residents prevent seizure of land in Sheikh Jarrah
  7. Israel demolishes under-construction house in Ramallah
  8. Israeli forces severely assault, detain Hebron residents
  9. Wastewater reuse project launches in Ramallah City
  10. Israel releases Palestinian poet from prison

Israeli forces injure 10, detain 8 in Nablus search for shooter

Oct. 3, 2015 10:49 A.M. (Updated: Oct. 4, 2015 9:42 A.M.)
Israeli soldiers in a street east of Nablus on Oct. 3, 2015, as they search for suspects involved in a shooting that left two settlers dead. (AFP/Jaafar Ashtiyeh)
NABLUS (Ma’an) -- Israeli forces raided neighborhoods throughout the Nablus area in the occupied West Bank at dawn on Saturday as a search continued for the shooters in an attack that left two Israeli settlers dead Thursday night.

The heavily-armed forces ransacked homes and detained eight Palestinians, injuring ten with live fire when clashes erupted.

The Palestinian Red Crescent said: "10 people were wounded by live rounds to the legs or stomach," and "four others were wounded in beatings" by security forces.

Palestinian security sources told Ma'an that more than 40 Israeli military vehicles and Israeli intelligence forces raided the ad-Daheya neighborhood of Nablus.

Seven of the detainees were identified as Abdul-Karim Mena, Rasim Hattab, Raghib Eliwi, Zahi Kousa, Samir Kousa, Abdullah Kosa, and Bassam Abu Ghazalah.

A resident of the neighborhood, Nazmi Hattab, was hit with live Israeli fire in his chest. His injuries were reported as serious.

Medical sources identified the others injured as Diaa Aqouba, Samir Obeid, Hisham Antar, and Zaid Antar. All those who sustained injuries were transferred to Rafidia Hospital for medical treatment.

Many more Palestinians were reported to have suffered excessive tear gas inhalation.

In Askar refugee camp in Nablus -- home to nearly 16,000 Palestinian refugees -- Israeli forces raided the home of Noud ad-Din Abu Hashya, believed to be involved in Thursday's shooting attack, Palestinian security sources said.

Israeli forces handed his family a notification for a demolition order on their home, expected to be carried out in the cramped refugee camp on Thursday of next week, they added.

An Israeli army spokesperson confirmed that Israeli forces had been in the Nablus area but gave no further information.

Those detained are believed to be Hamas affiliates.

A Palestinian demonstrator lays on his back after being reportedly shot in the leg by Israeli soldiers in a street, east of the occupied West Bank city of Nablus, on Oct. 3, 2015. (AFP /Jaafar Ashtiyeh)

Legal recourse

Israeli military forces locked down the Nablus area on Thursday night following the shooting attack that left two Israeli settlers dead, carried out by suspected Palestinian gunmen.

Eitam and Naama Henkin, both in their 30s, were killed while driving with their four children between the illegal settlements of Itamar and Elon More near Nablus.

Palestinian movement in and out of the area remained severely restricted on Friday as Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed to catch the perpetrators and hundreds of additional Israeli soldiers were deployed in the occupied West Bank.

The attack was the latest in the volatile Nablus area, where some of the most extremist settlements and outposts -- protected by the Israeli military -- sit above Palestinian towns and villages.

On July 31 an 18-month-old Palestinian was burned alive in an arson attack in the area, carried out by suspected Jewish extremists. His parents later died from severe burns.

It was reported in September that while Israeli defense authorities had identified the perpetrators of the attack, legal recourse has yet to be taken.

While Israeli leadership condemned the attack as an act of terrorism and pledged at the time to bring the arsonists to justice, critics argued that Israeli policy enables such attacks to take place without legal recourse.

Settlers across the occupied West Bank carried out reprisal attacks throughout the day on Friday, causing damage and injury to Palestinians and their property.

Witnesses reported that several attacks Thursday night and Friday were carried out in the presence of Israeli military forces.

AFP contributed to this report.

A Palestinian home in Nablus ransacked by Israeli forces at dawn on Oct. 3, 2015. (MaanImages)

A demolition issued at dawn on Oct. 3, 2015 in the Asker Refugee Camp to the family of an alleged perpetrator of a shooting attack that left two Israeli settlers dead near Nablus. (MaanImages)
Comments
Joe Fattal / USA
It seems a long shot, but the only way the Palestinians can beat Netanyahu in his game is to mend their relations with the settlers. Not all the settlers are on the Israeli government payroll and some of them are probably good descent people. As is said its a long shot
03/10/2015 16:51
Joe Fattal / USA
Cont....Its going to take a lot of work but I believe that would be the only way to solve the crisis leaving aside political and religious differences. Netanyahu is the problem he wants the situation to be aggravated, he bought himself some settlers to do just that.
03/10/2015 16:57
Joe Fattal / USA
Cont....So the only way I see the crisis can be solve is that both the settlers and the Palestinians to form an alliance against Netanyahu. Abbas cannot control the situation and Netanyahu wont. That leaves the people to take action.
03/10/2015 17:01
Send Comment
Name:
Country:
Comment:(300 chars)
Send
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015