Thursday, Oct. 18
Latest News
  1. Ashrawi: UNGA vote 'significant political move'
  2. UNRWA dismisses Israeli threats of closing its operations in Jerusalem
  3. Israel demolishes 7 structures in Jordan Valley
  4. Euro-Med: 'At least one Gazan is killed every single day'
  5. Israeli forces detain 3 shepherds in Jordan Valley
  6. Israeli forces detain 10 Palestinians across West Bank
  7. Israel warns Tulkarem residents of assisting Barkan attack suspect
  8. Israel demolishes Palestinian home in Nablus for 2nd time
  9. Palestinian injured as Israeli settlers attack school in Nablus
  10. Shaath: 'Australia's PM to destroy chances of peace in Middle East'

Israeli forces shoot, critically injure Palestinian near Nablus

Sept. 18, 2015 10:23 A.M. (Updated: Sept. 18, 2015 6:14 P.M.)
(AFP/Jaafar Ashtiyeh)
NABLUS (Ma'an) -- Israeli soldiers shot and critically injured a Palestinian man early Friday at a military checkpoint in eastern Nablus, security officials said.

Ahmad Izzat Khatatbeh, 26, from Beit Furik village was taken to Rafidia Hospital where doctors said his condition was critical.

He was shot in the shoulder and pelvis, Palestinian security officials said.

Witnesses told Ma'an that the sound of heavy gunfire was heard near the Beit Furik checkpoint and that an Israeli ambulance arrived in the area afterwards.

Israeli forces raided the village and carried out search raids following the incident.

An Israeli army spokesperson said that a firebomb was thrown at an Israeli army patrol in the area, near the illegal settlement of Itamar, with soldiers responding by shooting a Palestinian suspect and arresting another.

Earlier this week in Nablus Israeli forces detained a Palestinian after he allegedly attempted to stab an Israeli border guard at the Zaatara military checkpoint.

A Palestinian had been shot dead by Israeli forces at the checkpoint one month prior after another reported stabbing attempt.

Tensions have been high in the Nablus area since Riham Dawabsha, 32, on Sept. 9 succumbed to wounds sustained in an arson attack on her home in the village of Duma.

The attack left her husband and 18-month-old dead, and the perpetrators -- believed to be Jewish extremists from a nearby settlement -- have yet to be be arrested by Israeli authorities.

The Nablus governorate is site to rapidly expanding Jewish-only settlements accompanied by heavy Israeli military presence in the area.
Send Comment
Name:
Country:
Comment:(300 chars)
Send
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015