Sunday, July 21
Latest News
  1. Palestinian goverment: 26 million in development of ministries
  2. Rudeineh: Washington us unable to achieve anything by itself
  3. US: “No plan for unilateral annexation by Israel of the West Bank"
  4. Cluster of incendiary balloons land in southern Israel
  5. Palestinian FM condemns Germany's vote to define BDS as 'anti-Semitic'
  6. Israeli forces forcibly evict Muslim worshipers from Al-Aqsa
  7. Israeli forces detain 14-year-old Palestinian near Ramallah
  8. Erekat: Deviation from peace terms of reference doomed to fail
  9. Iceland's Hatari shocks Eurovision with Palestinian flags
  10. UNRWA: 4 Palestinian children killed in attack on Syria refugee camp

Former hunger striker Allan expected to be moved to West Bank hospital

Aug. 29, 2015 1:12 P.M. (Updated: Aug. 29, 2015 9:43 P.M.)
Nasser al-Din Allan holds a poster depicting his hunger striking son. (MaanImages/Killian Redden)
BETHLEHEM (Ma'an) -- Former Palestinian hunger striker Muhammad Allan is expected to be moved to An-Najah National University Hospital in Nablus in the northern occupied West Bank, his father, Nasser al-Din Allan, told Ma'an Saturday.

Allan, 31, agreed to end a 66-day hunger strike on Aug. 20 when Israel's top court suspended his administrative detention. He entered a coma twice before the hunger strike was through.

He has been receiving treatment at Barzilai Medical Center in Ashkelon, Israel, but his father feels he is not safe there.

Nasser al-Din said that an "extremist Jewish man threatened to reach the door of Muhammad's room in the Israeli hospital."

He said that wanted to move his son "out of the hostile atmosphere" to a more pleasant atmosphere in order to improve his treatment.

On Wednesday a fight erupted at the Barzilai hospital after Israelis in the hospital reportedly tried to assault the family and supporters Allan. Five people from the two sides in the brawl were arrested by Israeli police.

Allan's lawyer told Ma'an that he will be submitting medical reports to Israeli courts Sunday and will request the transfer to Nablus. He said he expected the court to approved the request.

Director of An-Najah National University hospital Salim Hajj Yahya confirmed that Allan could be safely moved to Nablus after he visited Allan at Barzilai Medical Center and reviewed his medical records, Allan's father said.

Yahya added that Allan would need two to three months at the Nablus hospital to fully recover.

The Palestinian Minister of Health said Monday that Allan had been in stable health condition and that his health was improving gradually.

However, there have been fears that Israel may reimpose his administrative detention if his health improves.

The Israeli High Court ruled that if Allan's health did not improve, the detention order would be revoked entirely, but if there was an improvement, the detention could be reimposed.

A controversial policy

The lawyer started his hunger strike in protest against his detainment under the policy of administrative detention, which allows prisoners to be held without charge or trial for renewable six-month periods, indefinitely.

Before his release, Allan had been held under administrative detention for nine months.

The Prisoners' Center for Studies said Friday that 85 percent of all Palestinian prisoners held under Israel's controversial administrative detention have their six-month detainment renewed.

Allan's hunger strike has sparked new calls for Israel to curb its use of administrative detention under which prisoners may be held without trial or charge for renewable six-month periods, indefinitely.

Israeli officials claim it is an essential tool in preventing attacks and protecting sensitive intelligence because it allows authorities to keep evidence secret.

However, it has been strongly criticized by the international community as well as both Israeli and Palestinian rights activists.

They say that international law allows for such detention only under extreme circumstances, but that Israel uses it as a punitive measure on a routine basis to circumvent the justice system or as a crutch to avoid trial.

Activists have called on Israeli authorities to charge or release those held under administrative detention.

There are currently 400 Palestinians being held in Israeli jails without charge or trial under the policy.

AFP contributed to this report.
Send Comment
Name:
Country:
Comment:(300 chars)
Send
Most Read
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015