Wednesday, Oct. 17
Latest News
  1. Foreign Ministry calls on Australia to reconsider Jerusalem remarks
  2. US Greenblatt reveals plan to unite West Bank, Gaza
  3. Japan-funded projects completed in Gaza Strip
  4. Kuwait approves $2.5 million contribution for Gaza
  5. Australian PM considers recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital
  6. Israel continues airstrikes over Gaza
  7. Israeli forces detain 15 Palestinians, including 3 minors
  8. Israeli settlers assault Palestinian farmer near Nablus
  9. Mayor Salman: Stop using Christians as a tool to whitewash occupation
  10. MOH: 32 Palestinians injured during Gaza naval march

Islamic Jihad: We will renege on ceasefire deal if hunger striker dies

Aug. 14, 2015 5:29 P.M. (Updated: Aug. 15, 2015 10:10 A.M.)
(MaanImages, File)
GAZA CITY (Ma'an) -- The military wing of the Islamic Jihad movement, the al-Quds Brigades, said Friday that the group will not commit to the ceasefire agreement signed with Israel following last year's Gaza war if prisoner Muhammad Allan, who is in critical condition, dies.

Allan, who has been on a hunger-strike for two months, lost consciousness on Friday morning and medical personnel fear that his life is in imminent danger.

A spokesperson for the brigades said: "It is an Israeli crime against our prisoners and people if prisoner Muhammad Allan dies, that forces us to respond forcefully and ends any commitment of our side to the ceasefire agreement."

In July, the group also threatened to end the 2014 ceasefire agreement as Islamic Jihad-affiliate Khader Adnan was entering the critical stages of a hunger strike. He was released in a deal with Israeli authorities after 55 days of striking.

It was the tenth time Adnan was held in Israeli jails under administrative detention and the second time he was released as a result of staging a hunger strike, previously striking for 66 days in 2012.

Islamic Jihad's threats come after a shaky ceasefire has been held between Hamas -- the governing body of the Gaza Strip -- and Israel for nearly a year.

In June Israel and Hamas had reportedly held an indirect exchange for cementing a long-term truce in the strip in a bid to firm up a ceasefire agreement that took hold last August, ending a 50-day war in Gaza.

The Egyptian-brokered truce came into effect on August 26, with the sides pledging to resume indirect contacts within a month to pin down a lasting ceasefire and discuss crunch issues. Follow-up talks were delayed several times and never formally resumed.

While Islamic Jihad representatives were reportedly involved in ceasefire talks, Israel holds Hamas responsible for all military activity that takes place in the Gaza Strip

Sporadic rocket fire has come from the Gaza Strip in recent months from extremist fringe groups, while near-daily incursions by Israeli forces along the buffer-zone have left several Palestinians dead and injured since the end of the war.

Comments
Joe Fattal / USA
Good political move. Israel right now is concern about the Iranian vote on their deal. The last thing they need is a confrontation with Hamas while they telling us that Iran is a threat to Israel when they ever get the bomb which is probably many years from now.
14/08/2015 17:55
Outlier / USA
Not smart, but when have radical Palestinians been smart?
14/08/2015 18:29
Someone / Palestine
I think the situation of palestinians will change by force not by deplomatic steps
14/08/2015 21:41
Billy Bragg / UK
Do these Arabs in Gaza, want a lifting of the current UN agreed blockade, with a sea link to and from Cyprus which is endorsed by Israel, or do they want wars?
15/08/2015 08:42
Outlier / USA
Someone, if it does change in that manner, it will not be for the better. Time to negotiate pragmatically for statehood. It will not be pretty but it will be peace.
15/08/2015 20:14
Send Comment
Name:
Country:
Comment:(300 chars)
Send
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015