Monday, Oct. 23
Latest News
  1. Israeli authorities deliver demolition notices in Silwan
  2. 3 Gazans abducted while inside tunnel near Egyptian border
  3. Jerusalemite Palestinian sentenced to 16 years in prison
  4. Health condition of Palestinian shot by Israeli forces improves
  5. Families of Palestinian prisoners from Gaza visit relatives
  6. Israeli forces detain 66 Palestinians, majority teenagers, in raids
  7. Israeli forces open fire at Gaza fishermen
  8. Activists demand settlers leave Palestinian home in Hebron
  9. Israeli forces raid refugee camp, ransack homes in search of weapons
  10. Israeli forces detain Palestinian for allegedly planning attack

Israeli settlers take over 10 dunums of land in Nablus

May 27, 2015 4:05 P.M. (Updated: May 27, 2015 4:17 P.M.)
NABLUS (Ma'an) -- Dozens of Israeli settlers from the Yitzhar settlement took over land in the Huwwara village in southern Nablus, official says.

Ghassan Daghlas, an official who monitors settlement activity in the northern West Bank, told Ma'an the settlers took over land belonging to Palestinian Yasser Mutie Hussein Ali, planting grapevines in the area.

Villages south of Nablus are a frequent site of settler violence and Palestinian clashes with Israeli forces, where locals often attack locals and prevent farmers from reaching their land, in addition to attacks on Palestinian harvest itself.

Yitzhar is notoriously violent, with Israeli security forces estimating the majority of a 2014 wave of anti-Palestinian hate crimes were carried out by residents of the settlement, according to Israeli media.

Yitzhar residents originally settled on 18 dunams (0.02 square km) of land from neighboring Palestinian villages in 1983 and has steadily grown outward, today covering over 1800 dunums (1.8 square kilometers).

The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs reported that over 7500 dunums (7.5 square kilometers) were mostly inaccessible to Palestinians due to violence from residents of the Jewish-only settlement, as of 2012.

Palestinian locals in the Nablus district face regular restriction on movement and heavy presence of Israeli forces due to high levels of settlers residing in the area, forces closing an area checkpoint Wednesday morning and sealing off the entrance to the Burin village earlier this month.
Comments
Michael / canada
You portray the settlers of yitzhar as vehemently religious but then claim they planted trees during the sabbatical year when it is strictly forbidden to do so? I don't buy your story, sorry.
29/05/2015 10:34
Send Comment
Name:
Country:
Comment:(300 chars)
Send
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2017