Monday, May 20
Latest News
  1. Cluster of incendiary balloons land in southern Israel
  2. Palestinian FM condemns Germany's vote to define BDS as 'anti-Semitic'
  3. Israeli forces forcibly evict Muslim worshipers from Al-Aqsa
  4. Israeli forces detain 14-year-old Palestinian near Ramallah
  5. Erekat: Deviation from peace terms of reference doomed to fail
  6. Iceland's Hatari shocks Eurovision with Palestinian flags
  7. UNRWA: 4 Palestinian children killed in attack on Syria refugee camp
  8. Israeli forces attack, injure Palestinian youths in Jerusalem
  9. Germany to condemn BDS movement as 'anti-Semitic'
  10. FM to UK Parliament: Two-state solution could reach point of no return

Family of alleged 'attacker' receives body, mourns his death

May 21, 2015 11:46 A.M. (Updated: May 21, 2015 6:46 P.M.)
Mourners recieve the body of Omran Omar Abu Dheim in Jerusalem, May 20, 2015. (MaanImages)
JERUSALEM (Ma'an) -- The Abu Dheim family received the body of relative Omran Omar early Thursday, who was shot by Israeli officers Wednesday after officers claimed he was attempting to run over border guards in occupied East Jerusalem.

Israeli authorities delivered his body to the family at the Jabal al-Mukabbir police station just after midnight, when the body was transferred via an ambulance to a nearby mosque.

Relatives and friends bid final farewell to Abu Dheim as mourners carried his body to the town's cemetery after the funeral prayer.

The mourners waved Palestinian flags, chanting slogans condemning the killing.

Omran had left home at 8:30 a.m. Wednesday headed for Jabal al-Zaytoun (Mount of Olives), where he works as school bus supervisor at the neighborhood's school, his wife said.

Omran's brother Shafiq Abu Dheim said eyewitnesses told him that "Omran was trying to make a U-turn in the middle of the road, but was impeded by a truck which was unloading vegetables at a produce shop."

At that point a heated argument broke between him and Israeli officers who were on both sides of the road, when the officers opened fire.

Shafiq told Ma'an that Israeli forces pulled his brother out of the car and "left him lying on the ground for half an hour without receiving any first aid, despite the fact that he was only a few meters away from Al-Maqasid and Augusta Victoria hospitals," according to eyewitnesses.

The forces reportedly fired stun grenades at those who attempted to access the man after he was shot, head of a local follow-up committee of al-Tur, Mufid Abu Ghannam, told Ma'an Wednesday.

As soon as Shafiq discovered his brother's death, he immediately headed to al-Tur, walking due to blocked roads.

"My brother had already been evacuated in an ambulance, and the soldiers were inspecting his car. I tried to access the car, which was riddled with bullets, but they pushed me back violently."

Israeli police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld told Ma'an after the incident that the had man tried to run over two border police officers with his car, leaving them moderately injured.

Israeli soldiers, police officers and security guards have recently shot dead or injured several Palestinians in Jerusalem on suspicion that they were planning or carrying out attacks against Israelis.

Killed in 'cold blood'

The family of Omran Omar Abu Dheim told Ma'an he was killed in "cold blood."

"My husband isn't interested in politics, neither is he affiliated to any political parties," Omran's wife told Ma'an.

"It is a common practice for the occupation to kill Palestinians in cold blood, and to justify the killing, quickly claiming that the martyr was planning an attack against them," she added.

Surveillance cameras in the area, she said, could have revealed the truth, but Israeli forces confiscated the cameras before shop-owners were able to view the footage. "They want to conceal the truth about the tyranny they committed against a father of a family," Omar's wife told Ma'an.

Omran's elder daughter Rasha, 14, said she was in her final exams at school when her father was killed. "On my way back home, I tried to call my father several times after I heard the taxi driver talking about a citizen from Jabal al-Mukabbir shot and injured in Al-Tur," she told Ma'an.

"I called his cell phone several times, but he never answered, then I saw the news on Facebook… the soldiers killed my compassionate father. They stole him from us."

Abu Dheim left behind his wife and five children Rasha, 14, Hamza, 11, Raghad, 9, Hala, 6 and Muhammad, 16 months old.

Send Comment
Comment:(300 chars)
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015