Thursday, Feb. 21
Latest News
  1. Israeli settlers attack Palestinian school in Urif
  2. Palestinians perform prayers at sealed Al-Aqsa gate
  3. France threatens to boycott Eurovision over Israeli TV series
  4. Israeli forces detain 19 Palestinians in West Bank raids
  5. Israeli forces confiscate road roller, excavator in Yatta
  6. Israeli settlers repeatedly beat Palestinian shepherds in Hebron
  7. Israeli forces deliver stop-construction notice in Hebron
  8. Israeli warplanes fire missiles over central Gaza
  9. Israeli forces injure fisherman, detain four others in Gaza
  10. Israeli settlers vandalize Palestinian vehicles in Ramallah

Clashes in Jerusalem but flashpoint Palestinian funeral delayed

Oct. 25, 2014 10:07 P.M. (Updated: Oct. 27, 2014 3:02 P.M.)
JERUSALEM (AFP) -- Israeli police clashed with Palestinians across East Jerusalem Saturday ahead of a potentially explosive funeral that was delayed for a day and tight security conditions imposed.

Relatives of Abd al-Rahman Shaludi, the Palestinian driver who ran into a Jerusalem crowd on Wednesday, killing an Israeli baby, were told to be ready to bury him Sunday night, their lawyer said.

The internment, near Jerusalem's Old City walls, will take place at 11:00 pm and must be finished by midnight, only 20 mourners will be permitted to attend and they will have to submit their names to police in advance, attorney Mohammed Mahmoud said in a statement.

Police branded as a "terror attack" the incident Wednesday in which Shaludi, 21, from east Jerusalem's flashpoint Silwan neighborhood drove at high speed into a crowd of Israelis.

Three-month-old Haya Zissel Braun was killed and six others injured.

Shaludi was shot dead by police as he fled on foot.

He was first to have been buried on Saturday evening but Israeli media said security authorities wanted to impose draconian security conditions, fearing violence.

Tensions have been running high since the incident with nightly clashes across Israeli-annexed East Jerusalem.

As evening fell, violence again erupted there Saturday.

Silwan residents stoned a sanitation vehicle sent to clean up debris from Friday's stone-throwing, and police responded with "non-lethal means of dispersal," spokeswoman Luba Samri said, using a term generally alluding to tear gas, stun grenades, and rubber-coated bullets.

In al-Tur on the Mount of Olives, masked Palestinians blocked the road with garbage bins, and threw stones and petrol bombs, police said.

Near the Shuafat refugee camp stones were throne at the Jerusalem light railway, a frequent target as some locals see it as a symbol of Israel's annexation of the Palestinian sector of the city. Police said a carriage window was damaged but no one hurt.

With tensions further stoked after the army shot dead a West Bank teenager Friday, there were also reports of stones thrown at the vehicles of Israeli settlers on roads around the Palestinian city of Ramallah.

US urges calm

Relatives of the dead 14-year-old, Orwa Hammad, said his funeral would take place on Sunday, to allow his father time to travel from the United States where he is a resident citizen.

They said the teenager was also a US national, as was the baby girl killed Wednesday.

The army said Hammad had been about to hurl a Molotov cocktail at Israeli motorists near Ramallah when he was shot by troops on a stakeout in the village of Silwad to protect a road frequently used by Jewish settlers.

"The forces fired immediately to neutralize the danger ... and confirmed a hit," a spokeswoman said.

Palestinian officials said Hammad was shot during a stone-throwing protest against troops, a regular occurrence in Silwad, which lies close to the Jewish settlement of Ofra.

Washington expressed its "deepest condolences to the family of a US citizen minor who was killed by the Israeli Defense Forces."

State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki called for "a speedy and transparent investigation" into the teenager's death.

"We continue to urge all parties to help restore calm and avoid escalating tensions in the wake of the tragic recent incidents in Jerusalem and the West Bank," she added.

Hardline housing minister Uri Ariel has informed Israel's Shin Bet domestic security service that he is considering moving into Silwan, Israel's Channel Two TV reported late Friday.

It cited security sources as saying that such a move was likely to further inflame feelings in an already volatile spot.

On Monday Palestinians hurled petrol bombs at a Silwan apartment building hours after it was taken over by Jewish settlers.

Ariel, deputy leader of the far-right Jewish Home party currently lives in the West Bank settlement of Kfar Adumim.

His talk of a move to Silwan was meant to test Prime Minister Benjamin's assertion that Jews have the right to live anywhere, Israeli TV said.

It would also be a symbolic challenge to the US administration, which has expressed "deep concern" over settlement building in East Jerusalem, Channel Two added.

Israel seized East Jerusalem during the 1967 Six-Day War and later annexed it in a move never recognized by the international community. Some 200,000 Israelis live there alongside about 300,000 Palestinians.

Israel regards the entire city as its "undivided capital" and does not see construction or the purchase of houses in the eastern sector as settlement activity.

The Palestinians claim East Jerusalem as the capital of a future state.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015