Tuesday, July 28
Latest News
  1. UN closes Iraq health programmes for lack of funding
  2. Saudi FM denounces 'aggressive' statements by Iran
  3. 'Friendly fire' kills Yemen loyalists despite truce
  4. US and Turkey to create 'IS-free zone' in Syria
  5. IOC strikes Middle East broadcast deal with beIN
  6. Syrian reporter killed by rebel fire near Damascus
  7. Kurds cut key IS supply route in northern Syria
  8. Australian 'IS nurse' remanded in custody
  9. Saudi-led coalition suspends Yemen strikes to allow aid
  10. Turkey could 'tip Syria balance' as Kurdish villages shelled
  11. Iran hits out at Kerry's 'empty threats'
  12. French Riviera braces for Saudi royals after beach lockdown
  13. Suspected Islamists kill 'at least 21' in NE Nigeria
  14. Media: Syria's Assad grants amnesty for draft dodgers, defectors
  15. US President Obama says 'Africa is on the move'
  16. Spokesman: Turkish jets bomb PKK Kurdish rebels in Iraq
  17. Turkey's Incirlik: US airbase on frontline for half a century
  18. Tunisian parliament adopts new anti-terror law
  19. Red Cross: Civilian suffering in Yemen at 'unprecedented' level
  20. 'No progress' in Libya search for kidnapped Italians

Israel charges suspect in West Bank teens' kidnap

Sept. 4, 2014 10:12 P.M. (Updated: Sept. 6, 2014 8:55 P.M.)
JERUSALEM (AFP) -- A prime suspect in the kidnapping and murder of three Israeli teenagers in the West Bank has been charged with organizing and financing the crime, Israeli security officials said Thursday.

The deaths, which Israel immediately blamed on Hamas despite Hamas' repeated denials, triggered a massive Israeli campaign across the the Palestinian territories including a devastating 50-day war in Gaza that killed more than 2,100 Palestinians.

Israel's internal security service Shin Bet accused Hossam Qawasmeh, who was arrested on July 11, of organizing the June 12 kidnapping and spending some 220,000 shekels ($61,300, 47,200 euros) on weapons and cars used in the crime.

According to the charge sheet seen by AFP, Qawasmeh was charged in a military court for "transferring enemy funds," carrying out services for an illegal organization (Hamas) and "deliberately causing the death" of the three Israelis.

The indictment noted that Qawasmeh had asked and obtained the money from his brother Mahmud, "a Hamas operative who had been expelled to Gaza."

The boys were shot almost immediately after their abduction, and their bodies were discovered on June 30 near to where they were snatched.

Critics said that despite knowledge of the youth's deaths, the Israeli government withheld the information for weeks as it engaged in a massive arrest campaign across the West Bank that led to the detention of more than 700 individuals unrelated to the crime, while leaving nearly a dozen dead and more than hundred injured in raids and ensuing clashes.

Qawasmeh's two suspected accomplices, Marwan Qawasmeh and Amer Abu Eisha, are still at large.

The Israeli army destroyed the homes of the latter two on July 1, a day after the teens' bodies were found, Palestinian witnesses said.

The army says the kidnapping was orchestrated by Qawasmeh, a senior Hamas militant who sent the other two, both of whom had a history of serving time in prison for their involvement in Hamas, to carry out the abduction.

Israel's massive arrests in the West Bank triggered an uptick in rocket fire from the Gaza Strip in response, setting the stage for an Israeli operation in Gaza.

Ma'an staff contributed to this report.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015