GAZA CITY (Ma'an) -- The new school year in the Gaza Strip will start on Sept. 14, Gaza's Ministry of Education said Friday.
Ziad Thabet, deputy minister of the education ministry, told Ma'an that an agreement was reached with UNRWA to open schools within two weeks.
Some elements of the curriculum will be excluded to make it easier for students to make up for starting the term late following Israel's offensive on the besieged enclave.
The ministry of education has arranged for school bags and other supplies to to be distributed to a limited number of students.
In addition to the academic curriculum, there will be special workshops for teachers in order to prepare them for dealing with various psychological problems students may face after having experienced one of the worst periods of violence in Gaza for years.
Two schools in Gaza are still housing displaced families, Thabet added.
The Palestine Liberation Organization estimates that 277 schools were damaged in the Israeli offensive, which also killed 565 children.
Of the more than 3,000 children who have been injured in the assault, UNOCHA said that around 1,000 would suffer from a life-long disabilities, in addition to the estimated 1,500 who had been orphaned.