Wednesday, Sept. 02
Latest News
  1. Palmyra temple destruction a 'crime against civilization'
  2. Saudi-led coalition air strikes in south Yemen kill 20
  3. Lebanon police ejecting protesters from ministry
  4. Libya car bomb wounds one, damages office of Eni firm
  5. UN envoy to meet with Libya's Tripoli parliament ahead of talks
  6. Border agency: Migrants using fake Syrian passports to enter EU
  7. Migrant trains arrive in Austria as crisis deepens
  8. Turkish court arrests British journalists on terror charges
  9. Locals: Boko Haram kills nearly 80 in NE Nigeria villages
  10. Austria smuggler crackdown as Europe divided over migrant crisis
  11. 'Largest ever' Med gas field found off Egypt
  12. Egypt muezzin suspended over 'Facebook prayer call'
  13. 3 Canadians, Pakistani, Nigerian among dead in Saudi fire
  14. 'A Sinner in Mecca' documents gay Muslim pilgrimage
  15. A year on, Yazidis so close yet so far from Iraq hub
  16. Delayed Egypt elections to start on October 17
  17. Blast at Syria's Palmyra prompts fears for famed temple
  18. 11 dead, dozens hurt in fire at Saudi oil giant housing complex
  19. Red Crescent: 7 bodies wash up on Libya beach
  20. Egypt elections to start on October 17

PLO to pursue diplomatic efforts following ceasefire deal

Aug. 28, 2014 10:26 A.M. (Updated: Sept. 4, 2014 11:07 A.M.)
BETHLEHEM (Ma'an) -- The Palestinian leadership will pursue diplomatic efforts at the UN Security Council in a bid to end Israel's decades-long occupation following a ceasefire deal in Gaza, a senior Fatah official said late Wednesday.

Nabil Shaath told Ma'an that the PLO would first submit an application to the UN Security Council on Sept. 15 demanding a "timetable" for Israel's withdrawal from the occupied Palestinian territory.

The Arab League will meet on Sept. 5 to discuss how to support the move.

If that request is denied, the PLO will take their case to the International Criminal Court to hold senior Israeli officials such as Prime Minister Netanyahu and Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon accountable for Israel's devastating assault on Gaza, which killed over 2,000 Palestinians.

"Taking the case to the ICC is conditional upon the Security Council response to our request," Shaath said, adding that the issue is being discussed within Palestinian political circles.

A permanent unity government, with Hamas as a full partner, will then be formed in order to facilitate the reconstruction of the war-torn Gaza Strip, Shaath added.

Palestinian and Israeli delegations will meet at a later date in Cairo to agree on the procedures for operating Gaza's crossings.

Shaath said that Israel accepted the ceasefire deal without the demilitarization of Hamas following pressure from the United States.

Israel fears losing its allies given the ongoing unrest in the region, he added.

The long-term ceasefire which came into effect on Tuesday also includes the opening of crossings for goods and aid under heavy Israeli supervision, which Palestinian negotiators say will signal the end of Israel's crippling eight-year long blockade of the Strip, long a key Palestinian condition.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015