Thursday, July 02
Latest News
  1. Tunisia arrests 8 with 'direct links' to beach massacre
  2. BBC announces it will cut more than 1,000 jobs
  3. Judge: Court overturns death sentences in mob killing of Afghan woman
  4. 'No breakthrough yet' in Iran talks, Britain says
  5. US train with toxic chemicals derails, catches fire
  6. UNESCO chief warns about militant 'culture cleansing'
  7. Kuwait MPs pass $23.2 bn deficit budget on oil slide
  8. Kuwait makes DNA tests mandatory after IS bombing
  9. Fresh push in Iran nuclear talks in Tehran, Vienna
  10. Yemen rebels kill 31 as UN declares highest-level emergency
  11. Saudi Prince Alwaleed pledges $32 bn fortune to charity
  12. Police: 6 killed in Burundi gun battle
  13. 36 soldiers and civilians, 38 militants killed in Egypt's Sinai
  14. Liberia announces two more confirmed Ebola cases
  15. Tunisia identifies all 38 victims of beach massacre, 30 British
  16. Iran nuclear talks deadline extended to July 7
  17. HRW urges Gulf states to follow Kuwait on maid rights
  18. Medics: rebel fire kills 20 civilians in Yemen's Aden
  19. Monitor: Syria Kurds regain control of Tal Abyad after IS attack
  20. NGO: in first, IS beheads two Syria women for 'sorcery'

Israel says Gaza crossings to remain open despite rockets

Aug. 21, 2014 6:14 P.M. (Updated: Aug. 21, 2014 6:14 P.M.)
BETHLEHEM (Ma'an) -- Israeli authorities on Thursday said that both the Erez and Kerem Shalom crossings between Gaza and Israel will remain open despite the fact that rockets had been fired at both terminals from the Gaza Strip.

The Israeli military's coordinator of Gaza affairs Faris Atiyeh said in a statement Thursday that around a dozen missiles fired from Gaza had struck both the Kerem Shalom crossing and the Erez crossing the day before.

Such attacks, he said, affect the daily operations at the crossings, but despite that the army has no plans to shut them down because they are "the lungs through which the Gaza Strip breathes."

Israel has maintained a crippling economic siege on Gaza for the last eight years, strictly limiting all imports, exports, and movement of people while allowing small amounts of goods to enter through the two crossings.

The statement added that Israel had also cancelled a decision to allow Gaza fishermen to fish within a range of three nautical miles off the coast. The cancellation came after fishermen abstained from fishing despite the initial decision.

Israeli forces have fired at Palestinian fishermen multiple times in recent weeks as they have tried to take advantage of temporary ceasefires to fish.

Israeli airstrikes have also destroyed dozens of boats anchored at Gaza's port.

Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015