Wednesday, May 27
Latest News
  1. EU asks member states to admit 40,000 asylum seekers
  2. Official: Bangladesh plans to move thousands of Rohingya to island
  3. Iraq forces in Anbar push, stir over operation codename
  4. Brother urges Iran to free reporter held on 'laughable' charges
  5. Yemeni pleads guilty in New York to Al-Qaeda conspiracy
  6. UN seeks new date for Yemen talks
  7. Draft bill on transsexuals sent to Iran parliament
  8. EU to unveil latest plan to absorb migrants fairly
  9. Spokesman: Libya PM escapes assassination attempt
  10. AFP: Multiple explosions, gunfire in Kabul diplomatic area
  11. Govt: Kabul gunbattle ends with four attackers killed
  12. Turkey says training of moderate Syrian rebels begins with US
  13. Pro-government fighters push rebels out of Yemen city
  14. Police: suspected Fulani herdsmen kill at least 23 in central Nigeria
  15. Obama: Russia adopting 'increasingly aggressive posture' in Ukraine
  16. Washington Post reporter stands trial in Iran for spying
  17. Austrian 14-year-old jailed on 'terrorism' charges
  18. Saudi beheads 88th person, exceeding last year's total
  19. Charter buys US giant Time Warner Cable in $78.7 billion deal
  20. Diplomat: France suspends security cooperation with Burundi

Israel stripped of Davis Cup tournament due to conflict

Aug. 7, 2014 8:31 P.M. (Updated: Aug. 9, 2014 7:03 P.M.)
LONDON (AFP) -- Israel will not be allowed to stage the Davis Cup World Group tie against Argentina in Tel Aviv in September because of the conflict between Israel and Hamas, tournament chiefs said Thursday.

The tie, set for September 12-14 at the Nokia Arena in Tel Aviv, will either be switched to a neutral venue or be played in Argentina.

"The Davis Cup Committee determined that, while the military conflict seemed to be slowing down, there was no certainty that this would be the case at the time of the tie that is due to take place in five weeks," said an International Tennis Federation statement.

"The Committee felt that its first priority was to ensure the safety of the players, officials and the public and regretfully decided that the tie would not be held in Israel as originally scheduled."

Israel has now been stripped of two tennis events in four days after the ATP's planned inaugural Negev Israel Open in Tel Aviv next month was called off because of security concerns.

The tournament, moved from the Russian venue of St. Petersburg, was set to become the first ATP event in Israel since 1996.

Meanwhile, the ITF also said Thursday that Kiev could stage the Davis Cup World Group play-off tie between Ukraine and Belgium from September 12-14.

"The Committee determined that, given the current information available, Ukraine would be allowed to host the tie at the Palace of Sports as scheduled. The Committee will continue to monitor the situation in Ukraine," added the ITF statement.

Davis Cup Committee chairman Juan Margets said the decisions had been tough to make.

"After long deliberation, the committee was convinced that Kiev would provide a safe environment for the tie with Belgium and agreed for it to go ahead as scheduled," he said.

"The decision on Israel versus Argentina was more problematic for the committee because the situation in Israel is very fluid at the moment and yet security in Israel is of an exceptionally high standard.

"Ultimately the outcome rested on the lack of certainty of the situation at the date of the tie, on the decision of other sports not to compete in Israel at this time and on the ITF’s duty to ensure the safety of players, officials and spectators."
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015