Wednesday, May 27
Latest News
  1. EU asks member states to admit 40,000 asylum seekers
  2. Official: Bangladesh plans to move thousands of Rohingya to island
  3. Iraq forces in Anbar push, stir over operation codename
  4. Brother urges Iran to free reporter held on 'laughable' charges
  5. Yemeni pleads guilty in New York to Al-Qaeda conspiracy
  6. UN seeks new date for Yemen talks
  7. Draft bill on transsexuals sent to Iran parliament
  8. EU to unveil latest plan to absorb migrants fairly
  9. Spokesman: Libya PM escapes assassination attempt
  10. AFP: Multiple explosions, gunfire in Kabul diplomatic area
  11. Govt: Kabul gunbattle ends with four attackers killed
  12. Turkey says training of moderate Syrian rebels begins with US
  13. Pro-government fighters push rebels out of Yemen city
  14. Police: suspected Fulani herdsmen kill at least 23 in central Nigeria
  15. Obama: Russia adopting 'increasingly aggressive posture' in Ukraine
  16. Washington Post reporter stands trial in Iran for spying
  17. Austrian 14-year-old jailed on 'terrorism' charges
  18. Saudi beheads 88th person, exceeding last year's total
  19. Charter buys US giant Time Warner Cable in $78.7 billion deal
  20. Diplomat: France suspends security cooperation with Burundi

ATP cancels planned Israel event over conflict

Aug. 5, 2014 3:02 P.M. (Updated: Aug. 5, 2014 3:02 P.M.)
TORONTO, Canada (AFP) -- The ATP Tour's planned inaugural Negev Israel Open in Tel Aviv next month will not be contested because of security concerns due to conflict in the region, officials said Monday.

Israel and Hamas have been in a major conflict since July 8 when Israel launched a military operation against rocket-firing militants in Gaza, one that has cost more than 1,800 Palestinian lives and those of 64 Israeli soldiers in and near Gaza as well as three civilians in Israel.

The tournament, moved from the Russian venue of St. Petersburg, was set to become the first ATP event in Israel since 1996.

"We regret the ATP World Tour event in Tel Aviv, Israel, will not take place this year," ATP president Chris Kermode said. "Sadly, we do not feel we can proceed as planned given the situation in the region.

"Ensuring the security of our players, fans and all those involved in organizing a world-class event, is our number one priority. We hope to be back in Tel Aviv next year.

"In the meantime, and much more importantly, we hope for a swift return to peace in the region."

Asaf Tochmeir, the Israeli Tennis Association chairman, was unhappy with the ATP's decision, according to a statement posted on the tour's website announcing the canceling of this year's event.

"We regret the ATP's decision," Tochmeir said. "We at the ITA have done everything to ensure a successful ATP event takes place in Israel. We have raised sufficient funding and have taken care of all organizational requirements.

"On this occasion, I would like to express our most heartfelt concern for the soldiers as well as our condolences for the civilian casualties. We hope to see a swift resolution to the current situation."
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015