Thursday, July 02
Latest News
  1. Saudi Prince Alwaleed pledges $32 bn fortune to charity
  2. Police: 6 killed in Burundi gun battle
  3. 36 soldiers and civilians, 38 militants killed in Egypt's Sinai
  4. Liberia announces two more confirmed Ebola cases
  5. Tunisia identifies all 38 victims of beach massacre, 30 British
  6. Iran nuclear talks deadline extended to July 7
  7. HRW urges Gulf states to follow Kuwait on maid rights
  8. Medics: rebel fire kills 20 civilians in Yemen's Aden
  9. Monitor: Syria Kurds regain control of Tal Abyad after IS attack
  10. NGO: in first, IS beheads two Syria women for 'sorcery'
  11. UN envoy to brief council on war in Syria
  12. Family: Australian killed fighting for Kurds against IS in Syria
  13. Monitor: IS re-enters Syria's Tal Abyad, takes district
  14. Egypt's Sisi pledges tougher laws after prosecutor killing
  15. Tunisia admits was not prepared for beach attack
  16. Orange reaches a deal for split with Israel's Partner after spat
  17. IS car bomb kills 28 in Yemen capital Sanaa
  18. IS beheads two Syrian women 'for the first time'
  19. Kerry says 'too soon' to tell if Iran deal sealed
  20. Bomb targets Egypt state prosecutor convoy in Cairo

Israel has caused '$5 billion' damage to Gaza homes, infrastructure

Aug. 4, 2014 2:52 P.M. (Updated: Aug. 5, 2014 11:36 A.M.)
BETHLEHEM (Ma'an) -- Israel's offensive on Gaza has caused over $5 billion of damage to homes and infrastructure in the Strip, the Minister of Public Works said Monday.

Minister Mufeed al-Hasayneh, a resident of Gaza, told Ma'an that the amount of money is likely to increase as the assault continues.

Some 10,000 homes have been completely destroyed, and 30,000 homes partially destroyed, al-Hasayneh said.

"The three areas that have undergone the most intense destruction are Shujaiyya, Beit Hanoun, and Abasan," the minister said.

"Ministry crews were astonished when they arrived to Shujaiyya, where some 110,000 people live. Sixty percent of the homes were completely destroyed, especially those in the eastern part of the neighborhood."

The minister said it would take $5 billion to rebuild structures alone, "not including possessions, like furniture and cars."

"The offensive destroyed buildings belonging to Gaza governorates, in addition to police stations and national security buildings," al-Hasayneh said.

The diesel containers belonging to Gaza's power plant have been destroyed as well, he said.

Al-Hasayneh says the "containers will cost $25 million, and there are ten power lines that supply Gaza with power and have been cut off" as well.

He added that 70 percent water wells had been completely destroyed, "in addition to waste water lines."

According to UN figures, up to 485,000 people -- a quarter of Gaza's population -- has been forced to leave their homes throughout the assault on the Strip.

Many of them will return to find their homes destroyed or damaged.
Powered By: HTD Technologies
Ma'an News Agency
All rights reserved © 2005-2015